Problem with hen?

• 13 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Problem with hen?
« on: January 16, 2013, 22:29 »
  I've got 10 hens and 2 days ago noticed that one of them seemed sedated and not wanting to be part of the other group of hens. Tried to feed it and just seems like it's not interested in anything. It just stands in the corner by itself and is very reluctant to go in the coop with the others at the end of the day. Thought it might be being "bullied" by the others but not sure. Noticed the other day that it had what looked like grease or something on its back and thought it might've been attacked by a cat or yobs etc but can't be sure.  Any ideas?? 

compostqueen

Re: Problem with hen?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 23:18 »
Can't you take hold of it and get it into the light so you can have a good look ?  It could be injured or it might have an infestation making it unwell

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:20 »
Picked it up and had a look at it last night and physically it seems ok.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59 »
So, you have to ask yourself what it could be if there are no outward signs of injury

Have you wormed the birds? 
Are any of the others sick?

They can go down hill very quickly and often if they are displaying signs like yours is then it could already be too late.

If your animals are open to attack by animals or yobs then it sounds as if they're in the wrong place  :(

grinling

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05 »
what type of hens and ages? Are they enclosed in/ how high the fence? Are they laying? How often do you see them and how long. Are there red mites in coop or lice on any of the hens? Is she egg bound?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06 »
Also check her crop is not impacted or has sour crop.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 21:08 »
   Will check the crop in morning incase it's that. Bovans Goldline hens. No lice or mites visable on hens or in coop and it's painted white inside for more easily identifying mites. Clean coop out every week religiously. None of the others are sick. Not sure if that particular bird's laying but at present, in the darkest, coldest part of the winter with no extra lighting from 10 birds I'm getting 9-12 perfect, amazing tasting eggs a day. Hens are still less than one year old.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 17:32 »
Is the paint inside the coop flaking as the hens will eat it?
Have they been wormed recently?
Is she lighter than the others?
Is she being picked on?

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 18:07 »
   No, the paint isn't flaking off and it's an animal friendly paint anyway, not a toxic lead paint or anything like that. Havn't wormed them yet but plan on getting some Flubenvet or Verm x after done a bit more research into which would be best for my hens.  The hen died today. Impacted crop but thanks for the replies. I got some olive oil and some bi carb into it with a syringe but was too late. I'll be checking the others regularly for the same problem from now on so hopefully I'll be able to spot the problem earlier next time and give it a better chance of recovering.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 20:40 »
So sorry infowarrior.   :(

It is good that you found the cause.  What bedding do you use for your hens?  They can have a habit of eating it sometimes.  It might be worth you cutting her crop open to see what caused the obstruction.  I think I have read that you can use maggots which eat away the obstruction without any ill effects on the bird.

For worming I would recommend flubenvet as it is a proven method rather than verm x which is a herbal preventative which is not proven to work.

;)

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43 »
   Cut it open but was just a stinking mess so couldn't quite distinguish exactly what was the guilty object/objects.  Use straw in the nestboxes and in winter on the floor in coop but I've never seen any of them eating it.  I've heard maggots can help so will use those early if i spot this problem in any of the others in the future. 

grinling

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:00 »
have they got access to grit?

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 17:05 »
She may have been prevented from getting to the food if she was lowest in the pecking order and would turn to the straw to eat.  It wouldn't take much to cause a blockage.  If you have more than one feeding and drinking station that can help.   ;)

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 17:55 »
    Yes, they've always had access to grit and oyster shell and they've got multiple feeders and drinkers.

xx
Egg problem

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 16:07
by muntjac
xx
vet problem

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 18:03
by Catsmuvva
xx
Eye problem

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:19
by joyfull
xx
eye problem

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 18:46
by dalesman

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 36 queries.