Asparagus bed

• 3 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Asparagus bed
« on: January 15, 2013, 18:43 »
HI guys got a couple of questions for you good guys.  I have been organizing and marking out where my new polytunnel is going and the beds which will be around it.

Question one:- is I will be having a raised bed for a asparagus bed which is 820mm x 6820mm (2.69ft x 22.37ft) I was wondering how many asparagus crown would be a safe bet to plant in it?

Question two:- The rhubarb bed is 1500mm x 2100mm (4.92ft x 6.88ft) how many would be a safe bet for here? I think I would need to check but I have 7 rhubarb crowns to go in would I be an ok size bed?

Last one:- I'm make an leaf mould cage and was wondering if once I have it set up and running if it would benefit from a couple of layers of seaweed from time to time (I've been adding to my compost bin) or shale I stick to the compost bin and just add leafs?

Thanks guys.

:lol:
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus bed
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 18:57 »
In a recent thread on this board I think we arrived at a splendidly British compromise of no less than a 15" spacing for asparagus - you haven't got room in your raised bed for a double row so the calculation should be easy.

Rhubarb - no idea, sorry.

Leaves take a long time to rot down on their own, so I'm sure that adding seaweed (and/or any "green" material) would speed up the process considerably - it wouldn't be "pure" leaf-mould at the end of it of course but would still be very good stuff.   ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 19:40 »

After years of trying it the other way, I've now learned that I would rather have LESS but GOOD poduce.

So for the asparagus bed I would go for around 12 crowns all nicely spaced.

The Rhubarb bed should fir 7 in fine, especially if you zig zag them to make most of the space.

For the leafmould. I would say no. Its a different process to compost. Leafmould uses fungus (mould) to break the leaves down where compost uses microganisms and bacteria. Keep the leafmould pure and add the seaweed to the compost, where it will work best.

Hope this helps!

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 21:01 »
Thanks guys you've been much help.  :) 8)

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by diggin@diggle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 21:04
by Salkeela

Page created in 1.035 seconds with 29 queries.