Help needed!

• 20 Replies

Mum2six

Help needed!
« on: January 12, 2013, 23:39 »
I took over my new allotment in November.  It’s a 2.5 rod plot, and backs onto a fence.  In the corner next to the fence, are some tree stumps, with growth that I can cut back.  Behind the fence, but right over my plot, is a gigantic oak tree – so I would imagine a lot of shade in summer.  The previous owner took a shed away, but there’s an old lean to structure that is rotten.  There are 4 raised beds (2-4 inches, all varied) and 1 mostly raised bed, that borders the back area.  There’s a pallet built compost type bin, that seems to contain composty type stuff at the bottom, and rubbish on top.  Then there’s also a black plastic compost bin, that appears to contain good compost at the bottom, and green slimy stuff including old runner beans at the top.  The paths are barked, and although the raised bed borders are coming apart in places, they appear to have enough life in them for the summer season, without getting to them right away.

I’ll post a couple of pics, and then ask my questions.

Looking from the back to the front – my border is just after the black compost bin, before the neighbour’s bean stakes.

From the front to the back

A bush that I don’t recognise.  It could be anything (gooseberry?) because I’ve never grown bush fruit before!

Then, I think that this could be a blackcurrant bush.  Is it?

So.  In November, we dug over the 3 uncovered raised beds.  Meant to get back the next week with some compost, but due to the flu and Christmas, I did that last Monday.  The soil in all beds is very light to dig.  I also planted some garlic in the small central bed.

There’s a very long waiting list for this allotment group, and they pay close attention to how well newcomers use and maintain their plots.  Because I will be moving house in July, my plan is to pretty much leave the beds as they are for now, because they will be easy to maintain.  I might come to like the raised bed system, but I’m more familiar with a fully dug vegetable garden – and it seems a better use of space.

I’m planning to put a small polycarb greenhouse at the back right (looking towards the back) as far from the oak tree as possible.  Long term I hope to put up a small shed, where the current small lean to is.  But that’s a couple of years away, and I can still store bits and pieces in the greenhouse, as well as grow a couple of warm weather crops.

Ok, questions (if you have been kind enough to read this novel!).

What’s the mystery bush?  It has thorns.

Is the other bush a blackcurrant?  If so, is it too late to prune it?  It’s covered in new growth.

What should I do with the pallet compost “bin”?  I will throw away the rubbish.  There’s a carpet offcut on top to stop leaves blowing out (and keep in heat?)  I get basic composting principles, but have never done it.  I would be scared about weed seeds etc.  But the man who had the plot previously, just retired at 90 years of age, as he hadn’t been able to properly work it the last couple of years.  But still, this was after 30 or so years on the same plot.  So he’s likely to have known what he was doing, right?

The black bin – it would just need something dry/brown on top, right?  Or again, would it be better to toss it all and start my own?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received.  I walked around clueless this morning!

Trillium

Re: Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 23:50 »
If the mystery bush has thorns, then it's very likely a gooseberry/goosberries. Currants don't have thorns. And it's very much in need of pruning. Suggest you ask around your site to see who has them and ask how they prune them. Most plotters are glad to help with info.

A lot of folk use pallets for compost bins and it could be kept but first I'd empty it out and turn over anything that's not quite composted. That will speed things up and aerate it. Also check if the bottom sits in water (which is not good) and address that problem if it exists.

As for the black bin, aka a dalek, once again, empty it out and turn over the contents. An existing pile simply needs turning. When stacking a fresh bin you alternate layers of fresh greens with dry browns and add a bit of water if too dry. manure can also be added between layers if you have any. The previous owner wouldn't have added weed seeds but quite likely didn't have the strength or endurance to turn over the compost, which it needs several times during its 'life'.

Ask your plot neighbour if the other plants are indeed currants; they might even know if they are black or red, which have different pruning times and methods. I'd leave them for now until you learn what you have and how to properly prune them (by asking fellow plotters).

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 23:53 »
The thorny bush looks similar to mine I have inherited too. My plot neighbour tells me mine are Worcesterberries one side and gooseberry the other. The Worcesterberries are VERY thorny, compared to gooseberry which only have a few in comparison.
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Mum2six

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 00:03 »
Thank you both!

The problem is, I purposely went down this morning, to try and find people who could help identify the bushes.  The other 3 visits were on a week day, and I was the only one there.  Today there were only 2 others there - one didn't speak English, and the other was more clueless than me!

I will prune the currant bush according to a gardening guide, and hope for the best.  The other bush will be removed, as I despise gooseberries and their relations!

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:44 »
I'm a fellow Newbe and have found that this time if year the allotments are not well attended very well because all of the old hands don't want to do anything until the soil will not stick to the spade or their boots.

It's only newbies that need to cut brambles down to see if sleeping beauty is at the back of the plot and old hands with specific tasks in grreen houses or planting garlic etc that you see.

Yesterday I was on my own on our plot from 9am -2pm, then Owen turned up (which is early for him) followed by John at 2:30 and I left at 3:00
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 17:42 by cadalot »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:40 »
What a nice looking plot! Congratulations.

If you can, I think you should keep the pallet compost bin. If your site gets manure deliveries, they are ideal things for filling with the new manure and leaving to sit and age and do their thing till you need it. And you can stick squashes, courgettes etc in the top, which will keep them fed and their foliage will disguise it for most of summer.

When you eventually see your neighbours, you might want to ask if anyone wants the gooseberries, rather than chucking them out. They look a great size and I am sure your predecessor lavished time and attention on them.

Good luck with your new plot and with the house move too  :)

Mum2six

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14 »
Thanks Surbie.  I had planned to offer the prickly bush on.  If I don't see anyone for months, then I guess that I'm stuck with it for this season.  Time to read up on gooseberries!

OK, so with the pallet compost bin, I clear the rubbish.  Turn the remaining compost.  Add manure and let it sit.  And then I can plant courgette or squash directly into the manure?  It won't burn them?  That's wonderful!

Ema

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:09 »
sound like you've done quite well with your new plot. As you said you can virtually leave it as it is this year before redesigning it how you want and this will give you time to get accustomed to the sites conditions what works well and what doesn't.

The bushes look like gooseberries and currants I would give them both a trim but if your not a gooseberry fan you can just leave them for now. a mulch of compost will give you a better crop in summer.

If the previous tenant has been composing everything from the plot then the compost will be quite rich. The pallet composted will take longer for things to decompose as it won't get as hot as the dalek. Just turn them quite regularly. If you get fresh manure then you can add this to the compost heaps but you don't want to run out of compost bin space in summer. I would ty to find some well rotted poop and spread this straight on the beds.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16 »
That's a nice looking plot there Mum2six  :) 

The currant bush could be any - red, white or black  ;)  It's a bit difficult to distinguish red and white, but blackcurrant have an unmistakable strong mouth watering blackcurrant smell when you damage/cut a branch.  You need to find out whether you have red/white or black before approaching the bush with secateurs as they have different pruning requirements.  Perhaps this BBC Link might be helpful

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:24 »

Looks like a very nice plot indeed! I'm quite jealous.

I would leave the 'gooseberry' bush for at least a season. You may find its one of the hybrid berries, which all have remarkably different tastes. Even if you don't like what it produces, it keeps that area of the plot full for another year so you can concentrate on other areas.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 11:43 »
Hi looks a lovely little site!

If I took that over now I would

a) remove all the rubbish from the pallets
b) turn the compost that was underneath it and assess its state, too wet or dry
c) turn the compost from the black bin onto the pallet pile

This will allow you to start a new compost pile using the black bin and give you a compost pile that will be ready to use sooner than if you kept adding to it now. By all means add some manure and some cardboard or paper (as you quite rightly say) if it's looking wet and slimey

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 13:44 »
Hi,

As long as it's not super-fresh they should do fine. There's a thread here with varying opinions:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=94454.0

I had really good results this year with partially rotted manure, so am about to get some into a storage thing for a few months before I start using it.

Mum2six

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 17:47 »
I'm feeling kind of thick now, but if I fix up the pallet compost, and top with manure - and then plant courgettes at the proper time - well, how will i turn the compost whilst the 'gettes are growing?

surbie100

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 18:49 »
Turn it before you put the courgette plants in, then again once the plants are done. I've seen some people on our site planting around the base of the heap too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 19:16 »
Hi there Mum2Six  :D  That is a lovely plot you have inherited

I notice you said you will be moving so think you will leave it until July.

Please don't, because you will miss so much in the way of home grown veg. Those beds will provide you with plenty, without masses of work, so do decide what you would like to eat and plan where abouts to grow it on your new plot

You can have new potatoes by the beginning of June for example, onions growing away ready to harvest later after you have moved, runner beans, french beans, root veg, tomatoes and of course courgettes and squashes, salad leaves and so on....

... are you convinced?

I do hope so  :D

PS You won't need to turn your compost heap if you have a courgette plant in the top of it as the roots help do the work for you, so no worries there

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Some help needed!

Started by Dig2Grow on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 21:31
by clairebeau
xx
ID needed please.

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 18:52
by tosca100
xx
Help needed again sorry !!

Started by spade or shovel? on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 21:18
by rainbow1
xx
Ok help needed

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 25, 2014, 06:35
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 36 queries.