Pheasant is a wonderful meat but !

• 11 Replies

Bodger

« on: November 30, 2007, 10:28 »
This scenario or one similar to it could possibly be the reason why people get varying results and from time to time and report unpleasant experiences.

The pheasant is shot out of the sky after recieving a peppering of lead shot.

It falls a 120 feet and lands on the ground with a shuddering thud.

A big shaggy dog runs upto it and picks the pheasant up in its mouth and gives it a crunch for luck.

The dog takes it back to its master who slings it into the back of a long wheel based landrover in a warm heap of other dead pheasants.

Its time for the next drive, and all the shooters dive into the back of the landrover and give the birds some more tenderising by trampling the birds with their boots. This form of tenderising goes on virtually all day.

Just as it starts to go dark, a fine day has been had by all and during this time, instead of cooling the pheasants have actually been in a pile together actually getting warmer. The shooters then have a bit of a drink and a hearty meal . Please note, pheasant is not on the menu. :lol:

Eventually at the end of the booze up, or even the following afternoon , almost as an after thought the gamekeeper ties the birds up in braces ( shooting parliance for in twos ) and hangs them in a dark dank game room.

In a week or so, the keeper thinks " I'd better get rid of some of these birds to make room for those from the next shoot" He starts to give them away to friends and guests.

The friends and guests throw them into their car boots thinking " Oh Sugar !"

The pheasants then visit several car boots as they are passed from pillar to post until the end user actually gets hold of them.

The unfortunate person eats the said bird and then may  spend several hours on the Bog, after which he eventually leaves swearing that he will never touch a pheasant again and now you know why :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Pheasant well looked after, should be one of the nicest tasting meats that you will eat, you've just got to be careful as to where you get it from.

wildeone

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:33 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:44 »
Spoken like a pig farmer, sir!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:53 »
and not a proper gamekeeper like wot i was  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .my birds was hung in a proper game cart in brace and then put in a cool shed at lunch before the afternoon drives ,, the beaters and guns   (lasy sods ) went in a beaters cart .guns in rangerovers and the like ...... my birds were taken by game dealer next morning or else ...... saw a brace of pheasants at melton butchers last week for £8.20p per bird.not a bad mark up from £4 at this time of the year .. later the shoots  wil get £1 a bird and still sell them to punters fer the same blooming money ...£15 to shoot a bird  up goes  £10 bang goes a 1p .down comes a £1  to the game dealer ,sold to you the public for anything upto £20  a brace or £50 cooked in a snotty london restaraunt . rearing costs £10 a bird

someone else can do the maths  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

mashauk

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:51 »
Or you could do what my dear boss did once, luckily before I started there, apparently he brought them in and hung them on the office door.  He's off on another killing spree this weekend.

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Or you could do what my dear boss did once, luckily before I started there, apparently he brought them in and hung them on the office door.  He's off on another killing spree this weekend.

was that some macho thing ''look what i killed?'' ? men :roll:

isn't game better hung in somewhere cool?

Bodger

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:23 »
Perhaps he thought it was cool to hang his trophies in the office :lol:

mashauk

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 16:05 »
Yes, he was showing off, the vegetarians weren't amused, don't think the cleaners were either!

He also suffers from a massive lack of sense of humour.  He knows I'm a veggie (that and the League against Cruel Sports mug make my views fairly obvious :evil:) - and everytime he goes off shooting, I shout at him, have a nice day, hope you miss!!  He just doesn't get it :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 16:13 »
Your scenario Bodger is why many people are against blood sports.  Why raise and shoot the birds if you aren't going to use them as good food.  Totally immoral  :!:

brucesgirl

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 16:14 »
The people who own the estate our factory is on, used to have a glut of pheasant. Our local gamekeeper kept giving them a brace after shoots and they don't like pheasant, but didn't like to say!! They had to give them away to friends who weren't local. We tried one once, but I didn't like the taste and the lead shot played havoc with my fillings!

The gamekeeper gives us a sack of spuds every year to say thanks, thank goodness!!

WG.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 16:17 »
They make the most wonderful stock for Scotch Broth.  I don't hang them either BTW - simply cut off the breast meat and make broth.  Very good indeed!

gobs

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 16:53 »
I agree, very nice broth to be had.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 36 queries.