manure

• 15 Replies

dustcartkev

manure
« on: January 09, 2013, 18:08 »
i can get plenty of manure, but not sure how much to put down, and have been told not to use it on root veg is this correct. hope smeone can help, i have raised beds, ;) ;) ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: manure
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 18:18 »
If it's well rotted get as much as you can and don't use it for carrots or parsnips - it's ok for swedes :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 18:37 »

If it is farmyard manure go ahead.  If it is stable manure on wood chippings it may be adviseable to allow it to rot down fully before applying.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

dustcartkev

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 18:51 »
i was going to put a good layer of manure then compost on top is that ok. ;) ;) ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 18:58 »
I'd save the compost for elsewhere if you need to.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

stompy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43 »
i was going to put a good layer of manure then compost on top is that ok. ;) ;) ;)

You normally use one or the other they are both soil conditioners and feeders.
People generally use manure as it tends to be cheaper (free) whereas compost can be quite expensive.

As has been said, so long as it's well rotted (generally a year or more old) then you you can smother your growing area with it "appart form where your growing root crops" upto 3" thick and either plant into/through it or rotavate/dig it in.

Andy

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 13:46 »
I also understood it's not a good idea to put manure on areas where you are planning to grow peas or beans - or am I wrong about this?  I have smothered most of my veg plot with well-rotted horse manure ready for the coming season, but have left the pea/bean beds empty, so I can dig trenches and fill with "fresh" compost (peelings etc) straight from the kitchen.  Not sure about the science but I learned to do this years ago?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 14:05 »
I don't think it really matters - there aren't significantly more nutrients in most rotted manure than in home-made compost.

I suspect your info came from the fact that beans and peas are legumes so can fix their own nitrogen, so adding manure could be considered unnecessary or even a "waste", but actually both crops like plenty of organic matter in the soil anyway.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dustcartkev

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 17:28 »

You normally use one or the other they are both soil conditioners and feeders.
People generally use manure as it tends to be cheaper (free) whereas compost can be quite expensive.

As has been said, so long as it's well rotted (generally a year or more old) then you you can smother your growing area with it "appart form where your growing root crops" upto 3" thick and either plant into/through it or rotavate/dig it in.

Andy
i did,nt realise you can grow straight into manure, so could i fill my raised beds full of manure and grow. many thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 17:57 »
I also understood it's not a good idea to put manure on areas where you are planning to grow peas or beans - or am I wrong about this?  I have smothered most of my veg plot with well-rotted horse manure ready for the coming season, but have left the pea/bean beds empty, so I can dig trenches and fill with "fresh" compost (peelings etc) straight from the kitchen.  Not sure about the science but I learned to do this years ago?

Manure is fine for peas and beans - it helps to retain moisture in the soil, which will benefit them.

As JayG says, it's not about the nutrients though.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 18:32 »
i did,nt realise you can grow straight into manure, so could i fill my raised beds full of manure and grow. many thanks.

As long as it's well rotted, yes - don't know whether you are still referring to just peas and beans or all crops - cucurbits will also love it but parsnips and carrots will almost certainly fork.

If manure is all you've got to fill your beds then go ahead, but don't expect it to have the same properties as the so-called "perfect loam" - in particular it will dry out more quickly than a loamy soil mix (if we actually get any dry spells!) and in theory would eventually disappear completely since it contains none of the mineral particles like clay and sand that ordinary soil does.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 18:33 by JayG »

stompy

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:24 »
I used to put it on top at the end of Autum and then rotavate it in in Spring 2 to 4 weeks before i was ready for planting out.
The winter weather broke it down and when rotavated in the soil was fantastic for growing, it used to rake down to a fine crumb and had just the right mix between water retention and drainage.
After just 3 years it was perfect and a dream to work with.

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 14:09 »
I note most of the good advice given here says to use the manure if it's well rotted! But if it's fresh manure that you have you can still use it on the potato patch. Spuds can handle fresh manure and it will be rotted down and the plot manured ready for a second crop later in the year.
a local farmer brings me a load each year when he cleans out his cowshed in February. I stack most of it to rot down, but spread what I can on the spud patch so it has some conditioning before the spuds are planted. I get good sized and tasty spuds- so it must be beneficial
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 11:15 »

Also, just to clarify the bit about the root crops ...

It won't actually hurt them. So don't be getting all worked up about it. All it means is they'll grow in weird, forked shapes ... This is due to the extra growth put on by an excess off nutrients.

The way people talk about it, you would think it'll make the carrots explode and kill people!

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 18:04 »
It does reduce the crop significantly when you have prepared them for the table though.

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 38 queries.