Plot job list

• 26 Replies

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
Re: Plot job list
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 21:46 »
Trouble is my "to do" list gets longer every time I cross a job done off! Another couple of jobs come to mind and they get added  to the list :mad:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:51 »
I don't see my "to do" list as something set in concrete - most of the tasks I write down at the start of the year are more to do with improving the plot in some way whether it is moving the compost bin to a better location (now decided that it was a good place but I actually need another and in the original place for convenience  ::) ), , re-line the pond (it's been on my to-do list for the past 5 years  :lol:), create a couple more raised beds .... if I don't get them done in a given year, then it's not the end of the world and there's always next year.  Weeding, digging over existing beds, sowing and harvesting are just given as tasks that are routine unless I'm trying something different.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 10:47 »
Hhmm.. My to-do list is rather lengthy in the long term but then I've just taken on a very neglected plot, lol! In the short term, its weeding, digging, getting rid of rubbish. Then preparing a dug bed ready for potatoes. Oh yes, and newly bought potatoes out to chit :)
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 12:56 »
To be honest, I do not tend to write down a list but rather keep a mental note in my head. This works for me nine times out of ten.
Sowing wise though, I always refer to the growing diary I have kept over the last few years.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

sion01

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 18:48 »
I've got a little book that i've got split into months with what to do,what to prune etc etc.Id be lost without it.Here are my entries for January

Catch up with unfinished jobs for December
Redesign parts of garden that arn't performing as planned
Plan which veg to plant and when
Start chitting earlies
Paint and creosote sheds
Move plants that are in the wrong place
Give fruit trees a sulphate of potash dressing then a good mulch
Prune buddlia
Take hardwood cuttings
Feed hedges

Weed.weed,weeed

Christine

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 17:08 »
It's taken me six years to get through the to do jobs on my plot. That's the list of things to make it usable. I now have another list that starts:
Move the bags of leaves to far corner to leave space for the compost heaps this summer (too wet at moment)
Scrub off the plastic I have in the corner for covering compost heaps (too wet at moment)
Paint the wooden gate (too wet at moment)
Paint the shed and refit the felting roof (too wet at moment)
Find some pallets to stand tubs on - this is on the concrete hard standing (too wet at moment)
Those are in addition to the routine pruning, sowing, planting, weeding ...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 20:37 »
It's taken me six years to get through the to do jobs on my plot. That's the list of things to make it usable. I now have another list that starts:
Move the bags of leaves to far corner to leave space for the compost heaps this summer (too wet at moment)
Scrub off the plastic I have in the corner for covering compost heaps (too wet at moment)
Paint the wooden gate (too wet at moment)
Paint the shed and refit the felting roof (too wet at moment)
Find some pallets to stand tubs on - this is on the concrete hard standing (too wet at moment)
Those are in addition to the routine pruning, sowing, planting, weeding ...

I gather it is wet at the moment..... ;)
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 21:38 »
Surely we shouldn't expect to get to the end of the list  -  routine maintenance jobs will always get added as we go along.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 08:01 »
Surely we shouldn't expect to get to the end of the list  -  routine maintenance jobs will always get added as we go along.

Very true  ::)  I'm off today to start the fruit.  Think I will tackle the raspberries and try and get them mulched as well.  Depending on how brave I feel, I will attempt digging down the sides of the row to weed out the escapees  :)

No doubt while I'm there another dozen or so jobs will pop into my head, but I'm sticking to my one job at a time strategy  :lol:

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 10:18 »
my to do list seems more like a to do novel, and every week or two a new chapter comes into being.... ::)

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 11:11 »

I never want to be a slave to my allotment. It should work for me, not the other way around.

So rather than making a list of all the things that need doing and then desperately trying to do them, I just do the most important jobs each time I'm there ... and if something doesnt get done, then meh ...

“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 12:30 »

I never want to be a slave to my allotment. It should work for me, not the other way around.

So rather than making a list of all the things that need doing and then desperately trying to do them, I just do the most important jobs each time I'm there ... and if something doesnt get done, then meh ...

well said  :D

xx
Veg list - am I doing too much?

Started by gingerbob on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:41
by noshed
xx
My names on a list

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:03
by billathome65
xx
waiting list's

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 22:57
by yummy
xx
need help with my veg list for next year

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 09:03
by drmoonshine

Page created in 2.517 seconds with 38 queries.