Plot job list

• 26 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Plot job list
« on: January 08, 2013, 17:13 »
Anyone else feeling like the 'to do' list is getting out of hand  ::)

Granted the weather towards the end of last year was no help, but the plot did look a bit forlorn and neglected today.  I was walking round today making a mental list of stuff to do.  Started to write it down when I got home, but gave up as its too much to cope with.

Think I will start with prune the fruit bushes and take the rest one job at a time  :lol:

compostqueen

Re: Plot job list
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 17:18 »
You have to be realistic about what you can get done  :)  I tend the plot on my own so usually am  :D  I did do four hours today though and felt marvellous for having ticked off one job  :)

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 17:29 »
I feel exactly the same. Spent the last two days down there now and got a few jobs out of the way:

Weeded the garlic and onion beds
Weeded the fruit bed
Built 4 raised beds from scaffold boards, 8' x 5' (phew!)
Tidied up and burnt all the debris
Composted the household waste
Gave the trenches another dig

In amongst it all I remembered that I haven't even ordered seeds yet  ??? ???

Still got list as long ad my arm to do  :ohmy:

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 17:37 »
Yeah I know the feeling.  Got a list of jobs that need done before spring but the only daylight I see at home is at the weekends when other things are happening so there's not much progression.  Got this weekend to myself but the car brake discs and pads have been on the to do list for ages so thats priority one before they fail.  I'm still trying to weed, level and lay suppresent fabric on an area for berries, it's only taken me all of winter so far lol.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Yana

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 18:30 »
I mainly tend my plots on my own with the OH lending a hand when there are things to be built or heavy things to lug about. Couldn't manage without him as he is a whiz at designing things too.
I have learnt over the last three years (having started with a very overgrown half plot and now have a new half plot) to be realistic in terms of how long things take to do, decide what you are going to do when you go to the lottie (making it achievable) and then if there is still time, do a bit more. That way you always achieve what you wanted to do and sometimes there is a bonus of getting extra done.
I start with the hard work - digging, weeding - and finish with harvesting. That way the fruit of the labour is the last thing you do. Seems to work for me but don't get the idea I am always on top of things.  8)
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 19:45 »
I sympathise!  Sometimes it seems overwhelming.  I let my plot go, and only have my back garden now, but still struggle to keep up with jobs.  Especially as I always have such grand plans, such as creating brick pathways everywhere - and of course, not just any bricks, but reclaimed ones that I have to search out!  Still, if you just concentrate on one job at a time, and enjoy the satisfaction from each stage of completion, you'll get there I'm sure!  :)

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 19:48 »
Mines been out of hand since i took the new plot on, sunday i got 4 jobs done thought i was doing ok only to find another 3 things i need to do before feb. and as for the greenhouse at home.

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 19:48 »
hmmm, just too wet to do much - would cause more damage than I could solve. Just need a week of dry to be able to get on with something. Looks very forlorn at the mo - hate seeing it like that. Am currently debating whether to relocate my greenhouse,,,
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:43 »
I never get to the end of my list   :nowink:

I am seriously thinking about going to the plots today - I have dozens of other things I should be doing, but I went up briefly yesterday to deliver a few things and was left feeling guilty that so much needed doing.  I am wondering whether to go up after I have done my most urgent jobs and stuff everything else!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

savbo

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56 »
however hopeless your written list feels. I still think you're better having one than trying to have a mental list. I keep mine in a project book along with seed lists and other stuff... I have several pages of un-done things! But I then give things priority (O,1,2,or 3 stars) and do the 3 star things....and it's amazing how many of the 0 star ones actually cease to be relevant after a while.

sav

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06 »
This time last year I made a general "to do" list of projects that I had in mind for the plot, and when I revisited it at the end of 2012, it was so nice to put "done", "done", "nearly done - just need to ....", "not done - weather too wet".  I'm definitely going to do another list for 2013  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15 »
Most of my list has to stay undone while the soil is so wet  :(

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 18:47 »
I love a to do list whether it be DIY the allotment or anything else, although lots of jobs from last years and going to rain Saturday so scuppers my plans!  But it is therapeutic ???

Lottiman

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 20:09 »
My to do list apeares to be very log this time, normally have a large amount done by now but not this time still to wet  :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 20:10 by Lottiman »
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 21:16 »
Most of my list has to stay undone while the soil is so wet  :(

Mine too.  :(

It mostly starts with 'dig....'

xx
Veg list - am I doing too much?

Started by gingerbob on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:41
by noshed
xx
My names on a list

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:03
by billathome65
xx
waiting list's

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 22:57
by yummy
xx
need help with my veg list for next year

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 09:03
by drmoonshine

Page created in 2.57 seconds with 39 queries.