Bramble question

• 10 Replies

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
Bramble question
« on: January 07, 2013, 18:47 »
On my allotment, there are a lot of brambles that we're slowly clearing. In one quarter, there's a fair amount of fruit bushes and canes. The canes we've been told are raspberries and the bushes gooseberries. The brambles are rife through it. As I was pulling long canes of it out of the bed and cutting it up into my recycling bags, I noticed a central point in the fruit patch of a bramble and many canes coming off it. They look and feel a bit different to the others entwined round the shed etc. The stems are a but shinier and much less thorny. There are thorns on it, but a lot less. Could it just be a less thorny bramble or maybe something else? Loganberry maybe? Next door patch has loganberry. Just wondering. I didn't think to take a picture while there (but I can), tho not sure you could tell just from a cane anyway. Any thoughts?
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bramble question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 18:55 »
I'd leave it there and see what it is when it fruits  :) it certainly doesn't sound like a wild bramble, does it?

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 19:08 »
That's what I'm inclined to do too after cutting it back so it's a bit more manageable in size. It was different enough that it stopped me in my tracks in a 'oh this is different' way. The others are very thickly covered in fine, needley prickles, so very different. Fingers crossed its a keeper  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 19:14 »
If any of those long canes are obviously young growth rather than crusty old stuff - then that's where most of the fruit will be, so can you try and tie those canes up somehow, rather than cut them back?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 19:17 »
I would suggest that if there are any canes that hae the remains of flowers/fruit on them that you cut these out as they won't fruit again this year  :)

'Old crusty stuff' as said above  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 19:26 »
Oh yes, hadn't thought that! Will see what's what and find something to support them when we go up next  :)

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 20:31 »
My guess would be a thorn less loganberry these canes get very long 3metres + or thorn less blackberry maybe definitely see what the fruits are. if its a logan mine has a greyish tinge to the young canes.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:31 »
even if not a thornless variety it sounds like it might be not a wild bramble, so I would try to keep it...the biggest problem might be that the bramble roots will be intertwined with it...I also suspect some blackberries revert to wild type from their roots...my thornless has a thorny bramble that appears every year from the same spot about a foot from the main bush.

will you be able to set up stakes and wires to grow this bush on? I use the fan technique with mine and find it easy and productive, but I have go stakes set about 4-5m apart so you need a lot of room

sav

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44 »
That is how my lotty neighbour has his thornless blackberry and loganberry set up. I think we could set up a frame easily enough as the fruit 'corner' is quite large area. I'm quite excited now to see what grows on it  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52 »
Tidy them up and then wait and see. I bet both will provide excellent fruit. You could tidy round the base, weeds etc and then feed  them when you get fruit forming later in the year. Some manure round their feet, etc  :)

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 17:38 »
Been back up with my dad today and he agrees it does look different to the others. He's come up with a frame idea with some long aluminium poles, so we will be planning it in as a supported fan, between the rows of gooseberries and raspberries. If we don't like what or grows, or it turns out to be no good, we will just dig it out and plant another berry, logan or some such in its place   8)

xx
A raspberry or another bramble?

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 22:48
by peterjf
xx
Bramble roots

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2007, 23:15
by leeky
xx
Bramble in my strawberry plant

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 15:47
by Trillium
xx
Bramble Burn or Compost

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 16:34
by woodburner

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 38 queries.