Sacks of stones

• 8 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Sacks of stones
« on: January 06, 2013, 14:29 »
Having recently inherited my giant weed plot I am getting it under control but I am wondering if there is anything I could do with the 3 sacks of stones I have so far (and more to come). They range in size from as big as a fist (a few much larger ones) to much smaller pebbles and are all different types and colours.

All creative recycling ideas welcome!

Lottiman

Re: Sacks of stones
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 14:35 »
I had bins full of them and didn't want to waste them, so put down some membrane and used them for paths around my raised beds.Still collecting now and when I get enough I lay down a bit more beats mowing grass :D
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 14:56 »
Took stones out by the huge bucketful when I first got the plot.

Used them as an extra barricade against rabbits, along the bottom of the wire fence

Also gave me a nice lot of hardcore for the shed base too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 15:30 »
How did you make paths out of them? I have yet to 100% decide what to make paths from and I was thinking about bark but stones are obviously free... So this sounds interesting.

With all the stones being uneven in shape/size does this not make a really uneven path?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 16:00 »
With all the stones being uneven in shape/size does this not make a really uneven path?

No, different sized stones won't make an uneven path. We have similar to this but more uneven and some stones in larger sizes

and it is fine to walk on. Just apply some sort of weed suppressant membrane before the stones go down, or be prepared to spray weedkiller on your paths.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 16:31 »
Ok, I will probably give it a go. How do you stop the stones moving around if you put them on top of membrane? Do you put soil in between the gaps? Have you got a picture of your paths as I am finding it hard to visualise how it works. Thanks!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 16:39 »
How do you stop the stones moving around if you put them on top of membrane?

In reality you need to lay the stones to a certain depth - probably at least one inch - so in order to make paths you might need to top up with a tonne or half tonne tote bag from your local quarry or builders merchant. It depends on the metreage you need to cover. :)

Lottiman

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 17:00 »
I normaly put some sort of timber edge to stop the stones getting in to the grow beds pallet wood scaffold planks anything really. If all your beds are raised then theres no problem,  best to put down a membrane as arugula said it will stop the weeds growing through, the stones will bed down eventualy as you walk around on it, mine don't move around much they are two or three inches deep in places, it's better if they are different sizes they seem to knit together. The last membane I used was actually large woven plastic bags that hops were delivered in to a local brewery, I had loads of them they are very strong and water goes through them split them down the sides lay them out cover them with stones. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 17:03 by Lottiman »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 17:10 »
Hmmm... I am currently in the process of edging my beds (2 I have done with all the scrap wood that was dumped on my plot - skirting boards etc) and I have 2 wooden pallets I got hold of that I will break down to edge 2 more hopefully.

With that amount of stones needed Paths might not be a great option then as getting vehicle access anywhere near my plot is a nightmare and it is a good 5 min brisk walk to get from where you can park/drop stuff to the plot. I am already dreading getting the flat pack shed there and so don't fancy wheeling a ton of rocks down in hundreds of wheelbarrow trips lol. In total I have probably got about 100m of paths to do so the 5- 6 sacks I will end up will hardly dent that in reality...

Maybe a stoned area next to where I plan to put the shed for pots etc might be more realistic...

Thanks for the info though!

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.