Seedbeds?

• 3 Replies

Andrew n

Seedbeds?
« on: January 05, 2013, 20:17 »
Novice who has just got a plot.....
I am nearly done with stripping turf and looking forward to the more interesting bit- growing something!
I am planning my growing for next year and some seeds ( cabbage, calabrese....)suggest sowing in seedbeds. Is this really required or can I can just sow straight into the drills?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Seedbeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 20:28 »
Welcome to the site  :D

Not a great expert on brassicas but I would expect seed beds to be used when direct sowing can't be done for crop rotation reasons.

I hesitate about direct sowing for any seeds, mainly because of the slugs / snails ...

Personally I'd start them off in modules in an unheated area, protected from the pests.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 20:29 »
Welcome to the forums.

I never sow brassicas in seed beds or drills.

It's one seed per cell in a seed tray insert, then pot on into 3" pots when big enough.

It gives you good sturdy plants with a healthy root ball and is far more economical on seed, so one packet can last years.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 22:10 »
I do ass dd suggests, itry and swop a few seeds as there is far to many in a standard psck when you grow them in cells. One word of waning though, DONT let them dry out as they never seem to really recover :( wont be doing that again.

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 28 queries.