Pheasant pluckers?

• 30 Replies

Fat Hen

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 21:48 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Quote from: "Sally A"
I went to a darts match once and came back with a puppy.
I remember my dad plucking one once - feathers bloomin' everywhere,

:shock:  your dad plucked a puppy :!:  :!:  :?:  :?:

You don't have relatives in Korea by anychance :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jellyhead

Oven Ready Turkey - French style
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 21:55 »
Thought I would share this with you as I know that it will make some of you smile. This story was in the French Property News this month. The writer who is dotty over animals (like me) went to a French Fayre of some kind and won herself an "Oven Ready Turkey". as she was leaving the fair with the large heavy box a head popped out of the hole and the turkey looked up at her. She took the turkey home opened the box and left it in the barn over night. When she went out the following morning it hadn't moved, surprised, as she thought it would explore, she took it out of the box whereby it keeled over. Its feet were tied together, OBVIOUSLY making it oven ready :shock: The turkey is now named Polly and has made herself right at home :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

gobs

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 22:00 »
That's the same in my country, they would be sold on markets like that. :D

Also, would you believe, in bigger Tesco's in Hungary you have fish tanks, bless them for trying really, so you can pick them fresh as you are used to. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 07:38 »
ok mr sensible here ....
start first by dunking it whole in hot water .. then the wing feathers can be plucked out then then breast right up to about 3 inch past the body then the legs and tail .then pick out any other small feathers .take a knife and cut  just above the anus wher you feel the pelvis bones come together .make a cut to the right side .from the rib cage start to the right of the anus .now just push your fingers in right up to the neck end grasp with a clawing motion anything you find and pull out .check for the heart and other bits left behind .cut around the head where you plucked the feathers to pull the skin back to the body and cut the neck through and then feel for a seed sack ( the crop ) close to the body peel this and its contents away from the body.cut through the leg loints just above the knee watching for thr tendon .now twist the leg completly round and pull the tendons out of the leg meat ( you may need to hold the leg meat whilst doing this ,singe with a flame to get rid of any small hairs .. discard the feet ,head and entrails .. wash the bird completly ..120 c cook on its breast in baco foil with bacon and garlic inside add some white wine for moisture ,uncover after an hour and place on its back to brown with butter brushed over it about 30 mins on full .... jobs a guddun n dont ferget the parsnip chips
still alive /............

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 09:46 »
Sounds delightful Munty! Thanks for the advice everyone  :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 14:55 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"

Last year I hit one with the car so stopped & had to "despatch" it, I popped it in the boot and took it homequote]

:? MAD LAW, but true

make sure to have a good look around, and no ones watching before doing that again, if you hit a pheasant with your car, you cant pick it up and take it home.

anyone else who comes along can, but as you killed it on the highway you cant.

nowt wrong with hitting it with your car, thats ok and legal :shock:  you just cant take it for ya dinner, you have to leave it where you hit it - bizzarre

not sure if it only applies out of season, will ask dad later

:shock:

muntjac

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 17:58 »
applies to any animal any time of the year ,,,,, :roll:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 18:15 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
applies to any animal any time of the year ,,,,, :roll:

so i was half right then  :wink: . cheers munty

Fat Hen

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 18:33 »
Quote from: "happyvalley"
Quote from: "Fat Hen"

Last year I hit one with the car so stopped & had to "despatch" it, I popped it in the boot and took it homequote]

:? MAD LAW, but true

make sure to have a good look around, and no ones watching before doing that again, if you hit a pheasant with your car, you cant pick it up and take it home.

anyone else who comes along can, but as you killed it on the highway you cant.

nowt wrong with hitting it with your car, thats ok and legal :shock:  you just cant take it for ya dinner, you have to leave it where you hit it - bizzarre

not sure if it only applies out of season, will ask dad later

:shock:

Weird :!:  :!:  :cry:  :lol:

A couple of yrs ago nearly had same situation with a sheep.  I was following my mate in the dales when he hit a sheep head on at about 30.

We both stopped and got out and took sheep for dead, so we thought we'd pop it in his boot and try and find who it belongs to and if couldn't we could roast it.  We were just bending down to grab an end when it got up shook itself and walked away :!:  :roll:  :lol:

So I suppose if he had killed it really we should have put it in my car :!:

muntjac

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 18:36 »
no . domestic flock.herds dont count it must be a wild animal and game birds even when released by keepers come under this law .if you hit a sheep or other such animal you should by law report it to the police . :D

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 11:01 »
Quick update - we ended up skinning rather than plucking as some of the skin started to tear. Worked a treat though, much easier than I expected, would feel quite happy doing it on my own now. Casseroled it with red wine and veggies from the garden, yum yum.
 :D

gobs

Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 11:06 »
Well done. :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 18:38 »
Yay You!

What would you normally do with the skin etc?  does it go in the normal domestic waste?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 20:38 »
We put the skin and other bits and bobs in our garden waste bin as our council allows food scraps in it as well.  I kept a few of the beautiful tail feathers though! I have read somewhere that feathers make a good slow release feed for fruit bushes so if we pluck rather than skin next time, I might try burying them around the gooseberries!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Pheasant pluckers?
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 20:57 »
I'm going to have to read and reread Munty's post about dispatching chooks if I'm ever going to have my chook business!  Probably should start with an already dead one!  :lol:

xx
Chicken Pluckers

Started by Nails on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 10:37
by joyfull
xx
Unusual pheasant

Started by EzLou on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 18:49
by EzLou
xx
Pheasant Attack ?

Started by SamnElla on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 09:19
by SamnElla
xx
Pheasant chicks

Started by Fen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 22:23
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 36 queries.