bought some new items today

• 11 Replies

mike0001

• Experienced Member
bought some new items today
« on: January 03, 2013, 14:16 »
hopefully receive them tomorrow, paid the extra 6.95 only to find out large items excluded

wilkinson plus... not sure where to find out what is classed as large but sure we will find out

anyway just bought myself nice mini greenhouse , water butt and while i was getting it delivered 10 bags of compost which should last a while  8)

anyone bought one of these looks ok for the money

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-greenhouses+propagation/wilko-walk-in-greenhouse-with-staging+pe-cover/invt/0260896/?VBMST=Wilko Walk In Greenhouse with Staging & PE Cover

BabbyAnn

Re: bought some new items today
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 14:21 »
yes I bought a walk in greenhouse like that a while back - sorry to say but it lasted all of 2 days then a strong wind broke the frame and shattered the joints  :(  If you can find a very sheltered spot, it may be okay but please be warned that they really are not very sturdy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 14:22 »
Not wishing you put you off, we have had so many tales of lost lightweight greenhouses on here, that I've lost count.

This recent posting asked for comments on one, (not the same as yours):

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101042.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 14:26 »
oh dear ... well i have a spot for it next to my garden shed to one side with a fence on the back of it,

it will get plenty of sun and hopefully it will not go

if i sandbag it it should be ok

Agatha

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 14:35 »
I have a plastic greenhouse wedged into the southeast facing corner of my patio - it's 5 years old, think it should probably last another 2-3 although I had to replace the cover last year (cost £3)  It's fairly sheltered but I keep a couple of bricks on the base just in case.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 14:45 »
If it's standing on soil it might be worth investing in a couple of stout stakes, driving them in alongside the middle uprights and tightly lashing the uprights to them - the trouble with lightweight structures (apart from actually blowing away of course!) is that they only have to deform a little in the wind to suddenly (and permanently) lose all their structural strength.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 15:20 »
If it's standing on soil it might be worth investing in a couple of stout stakes, driving them in alongside the middle uprights and tightly lashing the uprights to them - the trouble with lightweight structures (apart from actually blowing away of course!) is that they only have to deform a little in the wind to suddenly (and permanently) lose all their structural strength.

I was about to mention that the blowing away was not an issue in the case of my mini greenhouse, it was the flimsy metal framework which crumpled during strong wind that was the problem so yes, additional support like strapping something unbendable and the same length to the uprights would be advisable

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 15:49 »
well after all that i may change my mind and make use of an extra part of my home , its not a conservatory but imagine 2 sets of patio doors with a wall either side and a poly carbonate roof

at least guaranteed to be there in the morning  ;)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 16:05 »
Could you not peg it down and gaffer tape the joints. I had a similar flimsy thing once, the worst thing was the poles always popping apart.

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44 »
If it's standing on soil, I'd suggest putting the feet onto bricks so they don't rust - the framework of the greenhouse on my patio stands on gravel & is still strong, but the greenhouse shelving from the same range stands on the soil base of my greenhouse & is rusted nearly through after 3 years.

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 15:06 »
I have built inside my little outhouse building, still will get plenty of light and loads of warm with polycarbonate roof in summer and keep it cool and frost free in the winter...... hopefully  :)

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 21:09 »
went up ok.. instructions were one little diagramn

will be ok inside my little area and it gets hot now during the day ,  it is going to be really warm come may . june, july but i do have a polycarbonate roof over it

verdict well ok for the money , would i trust it outside.. probably not  unless its in sheltered spot, really tied down.. comes with ropes to go over it.... you would really need to strenghten the supports as they are only push in

xx
question re buying fruit and pregrown items

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 13:56
by stompy
xx
Don't tell the OH but I just bought.....

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 15:17
by Trillium
xx
Bought all my seeds

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 03:20
by SkipRat
xx
Have I bought my spuds too early?

Started by Pollys on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 18:19
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.66 seconds with 38 queries.