Borlotti Beans-hints & tips?

• 18 Replies

Becky-Lou

Borlotti Beans-hints & tips?
« on: January 02, 2013, 20:42 »
Firstly, Happy New Year all!

Last year I grew dwarf borlotti beans (3 plants) on my Lincolnshire plot but only managed a meagre harvest of two meals-worth of beans.  However, they were absolutely delicious and I'd love to have another go this year.  Does anyone have any growing tips? 
I'm quite new to allotments-2013 will be my second year- so any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks everyone,
Becky

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Borlotti Beans-hints & tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 20:54 »
Two meals out of three plants isn't bad Becky-Lou  :)  I think you just need to plant more and if space is an issue, the climbing borlotti give a big crop for very little space  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 21:04 »
I got two meals out of about 6 climbing bean plants last year  >:(

Congratulations on your success!!

It was quite a year for beans ...

Anyway, they are hungry plants so give them a good dollop of manure / compost etc when you plant, keep them well watered (not a problem last year!!) and feed them regularly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 21:05 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 21:04 »
I make trenches over winter/early spring and added compostables (peelings, tea bags etc) and covered over with soil then left the bed until late May/early June before sowing direct.  You only grew 3 plants so 2 meals worth was probably good going - I sow about 30 or more seeds roughly 4-6 inches apart in rows above the trenches (dwarf variety)

Tip number one - don't sow too early but rather let the soil warm up and if you can watch weather forecasts, sow the beans when expecting some good warm weather to encourage quick germination and growth - a cold snap can put them back a little.  A sunny location is recommended.

Tip 2 - slugs and snails love the seedlings so slug pellets (or other effective measures) are highly recommended until the plants can get established.

Tip 3 - beans do well in soil neutral-slight high pH so add a little horticultural lime if you need to

Chrysalis

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 21:21 »
Like the others - GROW MORE!!! :lol:

Very high on my list this year, too after a meagre showing last time.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 22:56 »
I have grown borlotti since I got the plot 4 years ago. I second everything babyann says. Do a trench and fill with kitchen veg waste between now and March- the sooner the better. Expect to lose some to slugs ad snails and so overplant around the bamboo canes. That's it really. And as they are mediterranean, hope for a good summer.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 23:18 »
I didn't grow any last year but in previous years I have grown climbing borlotti just like runner beans.I 3rd what Babbyann says with the addition of a bottle planted in between every 2 plants with the bottom cut off, then I water in to the bottle as they are thirsty plants. I sow in pots in the greenhouse & plant out when all danger of frost is past.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 00:40 »
And as soon as you plant them out, set up a trellis or climbing fence area for them. If the climbers can't climb, they just won't produce as they should. As mentioned, all beans really do prefer warm soil so keeping black plastic on it for a few days should do the trick before planting.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 00:54 »
Remember to pick fairly often to ensure that the plant will continue to produce flowers/beans. If you don't pick for a while the plant thinks it has done its job and production will slow down/stop

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51 »
I grow Borlotti climbing beans every year and dry them off for soups and stews throughout the year. You have to plant quite a lot though. I grow the dwarf ones too as I love em

They look beautiful as climbers and I grow mine on teepees  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 13:01 »
The other thing I like about borlotti beans is that you can save  your ownseed  from year to year too, and never have to buy any again  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 15:39 »
My tip would be to start some off in toilet rolls or root trainers and then, when planting out, sow a couple of seed at the same time on each cane - this helps stagger the crop so your harvesting period is longer.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Becky-Lou

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 18:50 »
Thanks everyone, I will take your advice on board and hopefully have a few more beany-dinners!

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 07:53 »
I wanted to grow borlotti this year ... as my packet didnt come with instructions I googled and read that as they like the warm they will germinate better in a propergator .... so I sowed 8 and they have all come up within a week and are about 1"2 have second leaves! ..... what can I do now???  shall I re pot them and put them in the unheated gh inside a mini gh with some fleece? or do I really need to find  somewhere in the house?   I know I have sowed them too early now I have read this thread, I will be also planting direct when the weather warms .... but what advice for my 8 little babies? 
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:59 »
One of these days I'll swing for these people who say to sow everything in a heated propagator! Mine get sown in a unheated greenhouse - but in about a month's time.

Try keeping them as you suggested, they must be frost free, but being cool may just slow them down so they don't get out of hand. Be prepared to bring them indoors if it's looks like a hard frost. At worst, be prepared to re-sow in a few weeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
no dig gardening hints tips and comments please.

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 22:27
by Madame Cholet
xx
winter radish hints and tips please

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 22:16
by Madame Cholet
xx
handy asparagus hints and tips please

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 22:20
by gobs
xx
french beans or borlotti beans?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 21:49
by waddecar

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 37 queries.