Sweet Potato Time - 2013

• 250 Replies

matuyama

Re: Sweet Potato Time - 2013
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 11:06 »
17th Feb - is it too late to start a sweet potato off for slips? I will have some ground spare on my regular potato bed and had limited success with slips bought online last year but were so expensive.

Am I too late? I live in Cornwall, UK.

I think you'd have a fair chance of still getting slips in time to plant, I started mine in the 2nd week of January and I have 3 sweet potatoes that already have 10-20cm slips, so I could actually already use those. In fact I'm currently worrying about what I'll do with them until the end of May..

I didn't soak them but rinsed them repeatedly, not sure if that helped in any way.

troy

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2013, 16:30 »
Hi trillium   last feb (2012)  i started my potatoes and they are in the kitchen planted up as slips , i am finding it difficult to keep them alive   out of 7  i only have 3 remaining , and today i notice that one of the leaves is going brown . since i have got them this far i am keen to see a end results. Any advise on caring for them would be much appreciated ,and what are the next steps    for putting them outside .

Trillium

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 23:21 »
Slips are very frost and cold sensitive so check that the window they're in (?) isn't too cold in evenings. The potted soil needs to be a little damp, not overly damp and a bit of fertilizer would help as well.

The slips cannot go outside until you can give them 75F temps or better so they'll likely need to stay inside for a while longer.

Check the above and let me know what you find.

Touché Turtle

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 15:18 »
Yay! I've got a leaf!

My poor sweet potato has been through the wars. It too AGES to produce roots, then had some roots and no slips for over a month. Strangely the roots started growing upwards! Then I did some research and realised it was in the jar upside down...  :ohmy:

So I did a little re-arranging and laid it down in a dish (still supported on sticks) so the roots could be poked down into the water but the 'top' could be a bit out of the water. Finally I have a shoot and two tiny leaves. Still hoping some of the other eyes now in the open air will start to sprout. But I'm glad I didn't give up.. its been going since the new year!
Touché Away......!

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27 »
I have 1 slip that is about 2 inches long now, and another 7 or 8 developing.

Its sat on a warm window sill.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35 »
What colour should roots be? I'm guessing white but I have a greenish looking shoot, maybe a slip sprouting but under the water?!
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2013, 11:38 »
My roots are white, and my slips are red - so not sure!

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2013, 11:39 »
Just had another close look. It's definitely a slip, redfish with definite leaves all heading north! Do I just leave it to sort itself out or try turning the sweet potato the other way up?!

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40 »
Redfish?! * red'ish, lol! :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01 »
They are reddish to start with, but soon green up (as in pics in reply #19 in this thread) - with any luck they should finish up as in reply #12.  :)

Mine only produced roots underwater, is the level a bit high perhaps?

Probably best to leave it as it is - it seems to be heading in the right direction anyway!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2013, 12:43 »
JayG, this is sprouting from the very bottom of the potato. I've probably got it upside but at least it's doing something! :D

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2013, 12:47 »
Just searched this pics. 100% not roots and is a slip! It's a very long banana shaped white fleshed sweet potato, so it's only ever had the very bottom submerged.

Trillium

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2013, 19:11 »
You'll always get the fine white rootlets at the bottom sprouting first and eventually the actual greenish/red top leafy sprouts will start to appear.

matuyama

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2013, 19:32 »
Some of the leaves on my slips are turning yellow/spotted, as if they have some kind of fungal disease. Anyone had this, should I be concerned? Could it be from the chlorine in the water? It's not all of the leaves, just a few of them..

Ema

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2013, 22:15 »
when to pull the slips off?  :D

xx
Sweet Potato Time - 2014

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 13:22
by Oliveview
xx
Sweet potato

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2017, 20:27
by 3759allen
xx
SWEET POTATO

Started by Hooee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
sweet potato

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 16:52
by goodegg

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 37 queries.