Sweet Potato Time - 2013

• 250 Replies

Trillium

Re: Sweet Potato Time - 2013
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2013, 04:41 »
When you say the leaves are going dark, do you mean a darker green? Because that's a healthier colour for them rather than light green which indicates they need more sun and nutrients. And they definitely do like being snuggy warm in a tunnel.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2013, 21:31 »
My slips have been in a deep pot for a week now in a nice warm greenhouse, shaded slightly from bright sunshine.

The original leaves have gone a bit shrivelly and there are no new ones visible so far

How long does it take before new leaves grow usually?

There were tiny white roots on the stems when I planted them, and they had been well soaked on arrival
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2013, 21:34 »
I've had my slips about 3 weeks now and they have some healthy new growth, even though when they arrived there were so limp and feeble I thought they had no hope!

Trillium

« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2013, 21:41 »
Not sure how quickly leaves grow but as long as the pot soil is modestly moist, the plant should be okay as it's probably putting on lots of new roots.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2013, 13:00 »
When you say the leaves are going dark, do you mean a darker green? Because that's a healthier colour for them rather than light green which indicates they need more sun and nutrients. And they definitely do like being snuggy warm in a tunnel.

Yes they are very dark green, I'll keep an eye on them and try get a piccy to show. thanks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2013, 07:34 »
I am now wondering if they got frosted in transit as the  leaves are black and definitely not going to recover. I'll give in another few days to see if there is any new growth, and if not contact the supplier about it.

Fingers crossed they grow though  :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 15:03 »
Being tropicals, sweet potatoes are very sensitive to any frost or very cold conditions. Hope yours recover, Sunny.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2013, 18:48 »
I am now wondering if they got frosted in transit as the  leaves are black and definitely not going to recover. I'll give in another few days to see if there is any new growth, and if not contact the supplier about it.

Fingers crossed they grow though  :unsure:

Aha!  A few little bright green shoots are growing along the stems, not from the top yet though. A guess they are alive  :D

Whew!!

Ema

« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2013, 22:36 »
That's good news was going to say its still very cold for them even in a greenhouse.

My slips look like they've taken half have grown new healthier looking leaves. The spud is growing more shoots too

Trillium

« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2013, 23:29 »
Sounds like you'll be up to your ears in sweet potatoes, Ema  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2013, 07:19 »

Yes they are very dark green, I'll keep an eye on them and try get a piccy to show. thanks
I should have qualified that -- they are in my nice 'not below 10C at night ' cosy greenhouse at home ;)

Ema

Sweet potato help
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2013, 10:47 »
My home grown slips have been doing really well but I've just checked them and out of 5 one has gone like this

The lower leaf in this picture has also started around the stem

Ema

« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2013, 11:04 »
I'm guessin its some sort of virus cause by the aphids? Can anyone advise if the plants can recover? Can I cut the worst bits off or do I have to burn the whole lot? Ive tried googling but cant find any advise.

I'm worried because there in my kitchen with a lot of my longstanding house plants and cactus

Trillium

« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2013, 16:30 »
My guess  you have something the aphids brought. Move the plants away from your houseplants because it can spread. No need to kill the plants, just use something that will kill aphids. Give your houseplants a good check too because it's likely the sweet potatoes got it from them.

In Canada, I can use a light spray of water and some dishwashing soap and apply it often to suffocate the pests and problem.

Ema

« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2013, 17:41 »
Thanks Trillium they are in my kitchen with a few chillie plants that have also had the odd aphid on them. So I think tree safest in there as all my other rooms have more plants in them and I don't want to infect them.

I wil buy some of those flie catcher sticky tapes and hope they help keep the aphids at bay. will see how the slips do over the next few weeks also found aphids on the tuber today so the new slips will probably catch something too

xx
Sweet Potato Time - 2014

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 13:22
by Oliveview
xx
sweet potato

Started by tracy-fuerteventura on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 16:02
by tracy-fuerteventura
xx
sweet potato

Started by hazlet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 09:05
by hazlet
xx
sweet potato

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 15:58
by gobs

Page created in 0.576 seconds with 36 queries.