Sweet Potato Time - 2013

• 250 Replies

Herb

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweet Potato Time - 2013
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34 »
I've potted up 4 slips and have 3 or 4 more to come.

Ema

« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2013, 11:47 »
Here's an update

I pulled 2 slips off my sp 2 weeks ago as they were shading out the light for the other slips. 5 days ago I pulled 3 slips off about an inch and half high. I have plonked these in a glass next to the sp - the first 2 slips now have small roots.

I have fed both with a drop of baby bio which has created algae (I have just washed out the glasses in the photo) the slips have been attached by aphids which I just can't seem to eat rid of in my kitchen grr!

Trillium

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2013, 01:53 »
I'd make a weak solution of dish soap and water and swish the upturned sprouts in it for a few minutes. That should take care of the aphids quickly. Your sprouts have made wonderful progress. Wish mine would take a lesson  :(

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2013, 09:39 »
I think I'm about ready to pot up now, had two potatoes going, will have to rethink where i will put them in the lottie, can't believe my luck! :) have had a couple losses but there are 11 in the bottles and a couple more still on the potatoes.

Trillium

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2013, 21:02 »
Wow, you are lucky, Peas. I'm envious.

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2013, 22:38 »
I'd like to say there was lots of skill and clever knowledgeable-ness involved but really its all beginners luck :tongue2:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2013, 20:15 »
Can you grow them outside on the lottie then? I was under the impression they had to be in a greenhouse :(

Trillium

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2013, 23:33 »
Depends on how warm your area is. They do need 4 full months of fairly warm temps so you're the one who knows best how you can provide this for your sweet potatoes. They are a tropical plant.

Ema

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2013, 15:06 »
My slipds were looking quite sorry for themselves as the aphids kept attacking them so I have potted them up hopefully they will take

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2013, 17:21 »
My slipds were looking quite sorry for themselves as the aphids kept attacking them so I have potted them up hopefully they will take

They desperately need some food judging from your earlier pic - they will get that when planted up in compost (I put mine straight off the tuber into compost and the roots had filled a 5" pot within a fortnight!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2013, 19:17 »
My slips have actually arrived in the post at last. They are much less 'wilty' today after a night in a deep jar of water, and they have tiny white rootlets growing along the stems.

Looking at others' photos, mine have got  along way to go before getting planted out  :ohmy:

Should I pot them up now, or wait until they have longer roots on them?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2013, 07:39 »
Pot them up Sunny - as I mentioned in my previous post mine went straight off the tuber into compost without any roots and were romping away within two weeks. Still need to be kept warm of course, as they do throughout their growing life.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2013, 07:42 »
Pot them up Sunny - as I mentioned in my previous post mine went straight off the tuber into compost without any roots and were romping away within two weeks. Still need to be kept warm of course, as they do throughout their growing life.

Thanks JayG.

I shall pot them later this afternoon after I get back from work, and keep them nice and warm in the greenhouse at home for a while.

Trillium

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2013, 02:42 »
It's amazing at how fast sweet potatoes will root. Potting them up now is a good idea and will get them off to a quick start.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2013, 22:18 »
its my first year growing them and i cheated and bought super plug plants :tongue2: mostly to save time for me. i planted them out over here under black covering so to stop weeds like the instructions said and also put a mini polytunnel up to keep them snuggly warm. today i noticed the leaves are going dark when they were light green. is this normal? would appreciate help so i can save them if i am doing it wrong.

xx
Sweet Potato Time - 2014

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 13:22
by Oliveview
xx
sweet potato

Started by mister rotavator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 16:28
by Trillium
xx
sweet potato

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 15:58
by gobs
xx
Sweet Potato

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 21:22
by Silkworm

Page created in 0.665 seconds with 37 queries.