What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Ema

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2085 on: August 05, 2013, 23:50 »
Planted out some lettuce and a second batch of leeks. Picked loads. It was a nice quiet shift everyone else must have been scared of the rain

seaside

« Reply #2086 on: August 06, 2013, 08:41 »
Go inside and screw the roof down, this will pull the shed true and square.
Good stuff Bob. Being a builder myself, I would add one more thing.
Many flat pack sheds have bases that have no diagonal bracing and transport can easily knock these base panels out of square. Consequently the innocent gardener may only find this out when fitting the roof, when the problem of the possible parallelogram as opposed to a square will become obvious, and a rebuild will be necessary, as at that late stage it is almost impossible to square up the base once the sides have been screwed on top.
Folk should have a decent sized true square to hand ( an uncut small sheet of ply or hardboard with a known square would do ). Check and adjust/knock the base to a true square, and temporarily fix a diagonal brace somewhere on the base to prevent any movement while erecting. It will save a lot of grief,
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:49 by seaside »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2087 on: August 06, 2013, 08:48 »
Go inside and screw the roof down, this will pull the shed true and square.
Good stuff Bob. Being a builder myself, I would add one more thing.
Many flat pack sheds have bases that have no diagonal bracing and transport can easily knock these base panels out of square. Consequently the innocent gardener may only find this out when fitting the roof, when the problem of the possible parallelogram as opposed to a square will become obvious, and a rebuild will be necessary.
Folk should have a decent sized true square to hand ( an uncut small sheet of ply or hardboard with a known square would do ). Check and adjust/knock the base to a true square, and temporarily fix a diagonal brace somewhere on the base to prevent any movement while erecting.

Thanks for all your help. I have decided that with my limited power drill available (my battery one is cheap - decent one is corded so can't use it on plot) it will be far easier to wait a week until fiancé has week off. Luckily it is only a small shed so shouldn't take long and the base panel is in one piece so should be fine. We will take all your tips on board. I still have a huge area of jungle to clear this summer so I have plenty to do in the meantime!

jmc1949

« Reply #2088 on: August 06, 2013, 15:45 »
Dug over an 8x4 raised bed and transplanted the strawberries so I could work at the back of the plot. Also planted up 20 strawberry runners. Cleared the sweet peas that had gone over and some of the nasturtiums, Took all the spare canes home to put in the shed (not allowed sheds on the allotments). Had to clean out the shed to get them in though ::)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2089 on: August 06, 2013, 18:51 »
picked loads of runners, a round and a long courgette, a vegetable spaghetti squash?!!(haven't a clue how to cook that), loaded all the potatoes and onions into the pram to carry home.  The poor pram was never meant to carry a 2 stone baby, it was creaking a bit.
Cut the old leaves from the strawberry plants.
Anne

Flowertot

« Reply #2090 on: August 06, 2013, 22:08 »
Popped briefly to the plot on my way home after work to harvest a few things and water seedlings.  All was going well until I found a dozen huge caterpillars on my broccoli plants  :mad: and then got stung on the top of my foot by a huge bumble bee  :(.  I had forgotten just how painful that could be.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2091 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28 »
Hubby cleared all the waiting slabs plus collected another 11 from freecycle. He picked courgettes, beans and a few toms. He was going to do blackberries but it seemed to get darker earlier last night

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2092 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42 »
It is getting darker earlier BQ - we are descending into the shorter days :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2093 on: August 07, 2013, 12:53 »
It is getting darker earlier BQ - we are descending into the shorter days :(

He was not impressed lol maybe we should install flood lights.  :lol:
I was intending to go picking blackberries this morning then the older two wantec to go bowling and cinema and florence needed new shoes, so throw two off in car park and went to buy new shoes. Blackberry picking now this afternoon  ::)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2094 on: August 07, 2013, 13:20 »
I've just been blackberry picking :) there will be a LOT more in about a weeks time (as longsd I beat the others to I hehe)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2095 on: August 07, 2013, 15:34 »
The green 'alley' leading to our plots is full of them. Lots of pele also have them on their plots so there isn't too much competition... I have found some blackberry growing in a suitable place on my plot although I inadvertently ended up chopping a lo too it back this year. Once I have finished weeding in it and removing the nettles etc i am going to train it along a wire fence at the edge of my plot

jmc1949

« Reply #2096 on: August 07, 2013, 15:38 »
Watered my transplanted strawberries and runners. Then demolished a raised bed and tried to dig the ground behind it but it was like concrete. Strimmed the the paths again and had a good chat to a neighbouring plot holder.

paulsa

« Reply #2097 on: August 07, 2013, 17:43 »
Nothing yet just got in from work -- now what to plant on a new 8 x4 deep bed ??????
I know it's not an Allotment.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2098 on: August 07, 2013, 18:00 »
Picked lettuce.
Fed pregnant (again!  >:() cat.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2099 on: August 07, 2013, 19:22 »
Picked yet more French beans, spuds, carrots, pepper, tomatoes. Noted need to go back tomorrow and get the pea mountain.
Oh happy day!!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.