What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1395 on: June 02, 2013, 20:09 »
Hubby is up the hill fiddling with his compost bin, how many compost bins does a plot need  :lol: means I have a quiet evening so compost away dear  :lol:

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1396 on: June 02, 2013, 20:17 »
Weeded, watered and weeded again. Dug a little around the edges of my beds as trying to make them bigger by getting rid of the grass in between each one.....more planting space! Little at a time, probably will take me a year!
Pulled up some ready radish.
Went home sore but happy :D
Mrswashi

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #1397 on: June 02, 2013, 20:25 »
Nothing :ohmy: :ohmy: Was supposed to go to a Coronation party up at the allotment but ended up clearing the daughters blocked drains.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

snowdrops

« Reply #1398 on: June 02, 2013, 20:40 »
Mr S took pity on me & accompanied me to dig some Mares tail out which we started on one of last years potato bed,he then rotovated that bed whilst I finished weeding it. Then I swoed what is to be the brassicca bed & then began to lay & wet 2 thicknesses of newspaper all over it followed by barrow loads of home made black gold(compost). Mr S came to help me & finished it for me. He then un-netted last years brassicca's & removed & composted all the debris,dug out stray mares tail & rotovated that bed. I made the first cut of the comfrey & spread it on the new Brassicca bed before we covered it all over with woven membrane. Whilst the rotovator was out I took the opportunity to tidy the shed. Lots of cups of tea & rests as I'm still suffering-a cough &cold now. Really appreciated the help from Mr S & it was nice to have the company. I feel lots more positive about it now,still got a bit to do-hand weeding garlic,sow more peas etc. Off on holiday on Saturday for a week.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Tea Break

« Reply #1399 on: June 02, 2013, 20:48 »
Sow some more peas and transplanted the winter squashes into place going to train them up the boundry fence so they don't take up to much room. Had three sprouts left so stuck them in one of the raise beds in the poly with a couple of cherry bombs chillies and a row of silver skins onioins. As I was pulling a few weeds up around the side vent I jump a mile  :ohmy:, as there was a small frog there, so left the weeds there for now as it will gives it a bit of cover and it can eat as many slugs as it likes .  :nowink:

Mike.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1400 on: June 02, 2013, 21:17 »
Had 1 cubic meter of topsoil delivered to the outside of the plot this morning, so 2 hours was spent shifting that, does mean that the 2 new 17ft x 4ft raised beds are now filled. Tonight one of them got planted with Cucumbers, Courgettes & Squash, the other won't be planted for another couple of weeks as the sweetcorn aren't ready to go out yet. This afternoon the plot was left alone, whilst we went and collected a 5ft wide, 5 ft tall, 2ft deep glass growhouse to go against the garage wall to give us somewhere to get tender stuff going next year (bargain 2nd hand at £50 on one of the facebook buy / sell pages)..... if only i'd known 18 years ago when we moved into the house and dismantled an old lean to greenhouse in the same spot that years later i'd get into veg growing :-)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

grendel

« Reply #1401 on: June 02, 2013, 21:25 »
spent a while in the garden pottering, took my tomato plants out of the plastic greenhouse /  shelf thing and they are now sitting on uncovered shelves hardening up (hopefully above slug reach). Still waiting for the neighbours builder to replace the fence, then we can tidy and move things next to the fence, its a pain as thats where I want to put the plastic shelf units for sitting pots on, and the plastic covers. then afterwards I can clear the shed and rebuild it as a greenhouse.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #1402 on: June 02, 2013, 21:56 »
Did a lot of sunbathing! But I see I have kiwi fruit this season, I re-potted my nectarine tree and checked my yu mai tsai! 8)  I like exotic days!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1403 on: June 02, 2013, 22:26 »
Weeded, watered. Planted two patches of sweetcorn and a row of bolt hardy beetroot
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #1404 on: June 03, 2013, 00:35 »
Planted Peas, cleared lots and lots and lots of weeds

miggs

« Reply #1405 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39 »
Over the weekend it was the same as a lot of people. Weeded all over and done some general tidying up. Started to define the edges of the plots. It's actually starting to take shape. As its my first year, was not expecting that much. Already made a few mistakes and already planning for next year.

grendel

« Reply #1406 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14 »
up to the other plot, crops there all weeded now, a bit of grass cutting done (by hand) 2 1/2 hours of weeding and home by 11am
Grendel

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1407 on: June 03, 2013, 12:44 »
up to the other plot, crops there all weeded now, a bit of grass cutting done (by hand) 2 1/2 hours of weeding and home by 11am
Grendel

Ok I have seen too many posts without it now. Say the word Grendel. I see your name and say to myself "strawberries" I'll never ban the word again. Did you not dig out even one little one.  :tongue2:

Sweetpea C

« Reply #1408 on: June 03, 2013, 13:53 »
Busy few weekends with cubcamp, Chelsea and generally life so haven't managed to get much time up there recently. I just popped up in my lunchbreak to find that what is growing is going crazy :-) so, back up there every night this week to carry on. Sweetcorn is the next thing and I planted some kale in modules that are still alive despite what I have done to them :-). lovely to have the nice weather though all I keep seeing are jobs to do in the garden. I need to work less!!!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

grendel

« Reply #1409 on: June 03, 2013, 14:11 »
Grendel

Ok I have seen too many posts without it now. Say the word Grendel. I see your name and say to myself "strawberries" I'll never ban the word again. Did you not dig out even one little one.  :tongue2:

No - not one single solitary strawberry plant, been too busy weeding the other crops.
Grendel

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 6.822 seconds with 38 queries.