What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1335 on: May 28, 2013, 15:25 »
3 good sessions over the weekend...planted out sweetcorn, courgettes, pumpkins and various other squashes. Stuck in a load of nasturtians round them and a few marigolds. Put in a dozen french beans. De-weeded broad beans & lettuces and stuck a few more lettuce seeds in to fill the gaps. At home I've planted some courgettes and a couple of pumpkins as a back-up, planted some yellow french beans, more beetroots and a tray of celery...all of that lot sitting in the conservatory. Looking out there today looks like I will be lucky if all of the weekends endeveurs haven't been washed away.  :(

seaside

« Reply #1336 on: May 28, 2013, 16:45 »
Planted a few homebrew sunflower plants around the greenhouse. Checked for any issues from yesterday's wind. Pontificated over adjusting my sweet corn spacing that I used a couple of days ago and decided to leave that decision for Friday.
Adjusted brassica enviromesh and looked at a long avoided patch of ground that needs digging.... home of ants,  much dumped couch, docks and bindweed and my quarterly bonfires. I'm tempted to really clear it over a 6 hour session.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1337 on: May 28, 2013, 17:07 »
Braved the pouring rain on the way home from work just to check everythings ok after a stormy night.  Encouraged the peas up onto their twine supports, did the same for the runners on my lovely new munty bean frame.  Checked brassicas in the netted tunnel.  All looks ok but very soggy!  Couldn't do anything else  :( Hope its a drier day tomorrow  :unsure:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1338 on: May 28, 2013, 18:11 »
Picked 2 lettuces for me and a bolting spinach plant for the hens.
Fed Momma Cat and had a cuddle with the kits. :happy:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1339 on: May 28, 2013, 18:18 »
Nothing as I would have had to swim there :( typical weather when I have a week off!

yaxley

« Reply #1340 on: May 28, 2013, 18:57 »
Nothing today as it has rained all day we need the rain though and luckily we weeded our plot on sunday when it was sunny ........
Grow organic as nature intended

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1341 on: May 28, 2013, 19:10 »
Popped down in the rain earlier to check on the snail situation  :blink: but nothing nibbed I could see despite putting sacrificial lettuce and french beans out.  May not go the nematode route just yet as I 'like' slugs and snails IF they stay where they belong- making compost.

Went to pet shop to get guinea pig food and hay and came back with a one-eyed going-to-be-put-down soon piggun (whom we are calling 'Pirate Pigguns') to join our last remaining elderly house piggun.  I plan a piggun rescue centre when I'm retired.....
More animal poop and bedding for the compost heaps!  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1342 on: May 28, 2013, 19:40 »
Hubby said sod the rain and off he went, he taken my new bubble wrap and has gone to try and rescue the sweetcorn.

Ema

« Reply #1343 on: May 28, 2013, 20:47 »
Popped down after work but the ground was too wet to dig, looked for slus but only found 1, had a good wander round the site while it was dead

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1344 on: May 29, 2013, 00:07 »
Nothing as I would have had to swim there :( typical weather when I have a week off!

I'm working the next 2 days - 12 hour shifts - it will be dry and sunny, whatever our local weatherman Brainey says!! :tongue2: :D
It will rain on Friday, saturday and sunday - while I have days off! ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1345 on: May 29, 2013, 07:25 »

I'm working the next 2 days - 12 hour shifts - it will be dry and sunny, whatever our local weatherman Brainey says!! :tongue2: :D

Sunshine here today so I expect you have the same, weeds will be having a party  ::)

archibtbm

« Reply #1346 on: May 29, 2013, 08:53 »
dropped off a 125 ltr bag of compost for the raised beds which will have carrots in them.  Checked the greenhouse and everything ok, no slugs.  Plot look good after the rain which at least dampened down the dust a bit.

All spuds are up, but the Homeguard are a wee bit behind the Epicure

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1347 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01 »

Sunshine here today so I expect you have the same, weeds will be having a party  ::)

I wish we had sun! It was forecast to be dry this morning with rain the rest of the day so I was down at the lottie by 9 - managed to get 2 1/2 hours in before the rain got too bad. I sowed some swede seeds and did a small amount of weeding. The main thing was to carry on clearing the jungle. I amongst the waist high nettles I have found 2 huge rhubarb crowns that had obviously been dug up from somewhere and dumped. Despite not being planted properly they were still producing sticks! I have put them to one side to replant properly later in the week. I am beginning to wonder what else I might find as I clear this wilderness! I think I actually enjoy this large scaler clearing and weeding than planting or sowing... Does this make me strange?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1348 on: May 29, 2013, 13:09 »
RJR my dad prefers the mass clearing rather than the sowing and growing.

I haven't made it up the hill yet but my rainbow carrots have just come in the door so they have just been sown along with a tray of red cabbage, all sowed by my 15 year old so we will wait and see what results we get.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1349 on: May 29, 2013, 14:17 »
Withdrawl symptoms setting in after two wet days on the run and the prospects are not good today!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.