What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1125 on: May 09, 2013, 15:03 »
So sunny and warm - just had to get out there 8)  Sowed carrots, beetroot, french beans, radishes in the open, sweetcorn, kale, white & purple broccoli, 2nd lot of sweeetcorn seeds in pots, planted 6 early brussels out.  Opened up the first 1000kgs bag of home-made compost and it is sooooooooo lubberly and crumbly - so spread some of that around.  Now it's too warm for me so in the shade reading (and being tweeted to by the cockatiel!)

I wanna live where you live! :lol:

Checked on the 5 day old allotment born kittens and fed Momma Cat :happy: :happy:
Planned to weed the onions this afternoon after I woke up from night shift, but the lovely looking weather this morning has gone away! :(

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #1126 on: May 09, 2013, 19:26 »

The polytunnel had been battered by the severe winds ,tried patching up with greenhouse tape.

Moved some of the plants to another greenhouse and coldframes 

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1127 on: May 09, 2013, 20:50 »
Got a bit more tidying up done, the next door plots that have nobody working on them are sending out couch grass (I believe, lots of underground network and a tuft of grass popping up where it can) last season we threw down a load of old carpet on the other plot right by the dividing path to keep the weeds in check a little and I lifted it up yesterday and it was like the London underground, loads of runners getting closet to my plot.

:mad:

Loads of seeds have popped up in the greenhouse however and if Cumbria ever warms up they may get planted sometime in the next 3 months  :D
Carlisle

Ema

« Reply #1128 on: May 09, 2013, 22:21 »
Allotment close due to high winds - plants at home looking cheesed off

Paul Plots

« Reply #1129 on: May 10, 2013, 11:39 »
Yesterday the motor-mower and I walked to the plot. We tackled the long grass paths for the 1st time this year. They looked lovely when finished cut and tidy for a while.

I felt a bit like Hansel and Gretel on the way home..... left a trail of grass mowings for a mile along the pavements.  :tongue2:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

grendel

« Reply #1130 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09 »
took the electric strimmer, battery and inverter to the plot yesterday, worked fine for a while until I ran out of strimmer cord, hoping to get it low enough to manage with my push mower. back again later to finish off and try the hand mower.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #1131 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28 »
Today, I found everything blew away.......
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Paul Plots

« Reply #1132 on: May 10, 2013, 13:11 »
took the electric strimmer, battery and inverter to the plot yesterday, worked fine for a while until I ran out of strimmer cord, hoping to get it low enough to *manage with my push mower. back again later to finish off and try the hand mower.Grendel

*That's my aim too.

I have a fairly new spare push mower and will leave it at the plot hoping it stays there safely locked in the shed. It'll be easier than the 2 mile round walk pushing the petrol mower.

Good luck with yours Grendel.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1133 on: May 10, 2013, 13:13 »
Hubby's turn as I am still not well  ::)

He's taken up more strawberry plants out of the paths, earthed up spuds and I hope weeded  :wacko: I'll see if he returns with a bucket of weeds or not.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1134 on: May 10, 2013, 13:19 »

He's taken up more strawberry plants out of the paths, earthed up spuds and I hope weeded  :wacko: I'll see if he returns with a bucket of weeds or not.

If not perhaps he's been for a nice quiet sit in the pub?  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1135 on: May 10, 2013, 14:20 »

If not perhaps he's been for a nice quiet sit in the pub?  :lol:

He's tea total so I think we are safe to assume he hasn't lol, mind you abit of hoe leaning maybe more the case.

grendel

« Reply #1136 on: May 10, 2013, 15:09 »
took the electric strimmer, battery and inverter to the plot yesterday, worked fine for a while until I ran out of strimmer cord, hoping to get it low enough to *manage with my push mower. back again later to finish off and try the hand mower.Grendel

*That's my aim too.

I have a fairly new spare push mower and will leave it at the plot hoping it stays there safely locked in the shed. It'll be easier than the 2 mile round walk pushing the petrol mower.

Good luck with yours Grendel.
well almost there, finished the strimming, went to use the push mower, but one of the bolts to adjust the height had rusted solid so I couldnt adust the height, which needed to be on a high ish setting, but was on super short, bought it home and have managed to adjust it now..
Grendel

Sweetpea C

« Reply #1137 on: May 10, 2013, 17:59 »
Today just popped to see how much water the tank had collected (none  :() and what damage the wind had done. It just took down the one pallet the OH put in last wknd .... A woman's work hey?! ::)
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1138 on: May 10, 2013, 18:34 »
Just potted up another 24 strawberry plants, do they ever slow down on how many they produce. Lol  :wacko: I wish I'd counted how many we have removed so far. Given so many away I must have put the gc out of businness

All seemed well on the plot hubby said although some of the old boys broad beans have been flattened by a runaway compost bin ( not mine may I add)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1139 on: May 10, 2013, 19:45 »
Just a quick visit for me tonight, went through the soil o/h has kindly filled the bath with, as i'd forgotten to remove the big stones which is kind of necessary to grow parsnips!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.