What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #825 on: April 12, 2013, 20:03 »
Walked down the garden with the dog tonight and noticed the four wild plum and four cider apple trees I planted in December are starting to form buds, Yippie!! :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #826 on: April 12, 2013, 20:45 »
Spent yesterday starting to empty the last raised bed in the garden.  The soil here is very well fed - having had chicken bedding added to it for about five years.  It is also well drained, so will be perfect to add into the clay soil on the new plot we have just taken over.

We also transplanted some lettuce plants (originally sown under a cloche) into their final bed, some chard and then sowed a few rows of parsnips, lettuces, beetroot, spinach.  I also sowed one barrel of carrots - orange, yellow, purple and white!

I spent today pricking out and potting on half hardy annuals and perennials for the cut flower borders at home in the conservatory and planting some peas in root trainers.  I finally took some herb cuttings.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Paul Plots

« Reply #827 on: April 12, 2013, 21:18 »
Not on the plot as usual but:

Cut the lawns - at home and over the road
Potted up a few dozen saved sweet pea seeds that are shooting nicely
Stuck some more red onions into modular trays to get them going (nice to see something moving!)

That's it.  :blink: It felt such a lot at the time after weeks of not being able to do anything much at all.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #828 on: April 12, 2013, 21:24 »
Nothing! Weather in Suffolk not so sunny today  :( but glad I planted the raspberry cane and blueberry yesterday will have had a good old fashioned soak! Just hope the seeds my daughters helped to plant (spread Across the soil) haven't been washed away - don't think they were very far down

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #829 on: April 12, 2013, 22:12 »
Sat on the step of the hut drinking a cup of tea made with my Christmas ghillie kettle on the plot, it is the first time it has been warm enough!
Anne

blackberryjam

« Reply #830 on: April 12, 2013, 22:53 »
Quick visit to the plot to check on my cabbages, not able to do much today. Oh  bought me a walk in greenhouse. Said it's not worth buying a good one, if it's going to be broken into and smashed up. Good point i suppose. I've bought some french shallots ( longor ) never grown them before. Oh got his eye on some marrow plants. Yuck . ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #831 on: April 12, 2013, 23:48 »
Sat on the step of the hut drinking a cup of tea made with my Christmas ghillie kettle on the plot, it is the first time it has been warm enough!

That sounds absolutely lovely!

I often day-dream about going to the plot and making a cup of tea with my little gas burner and tin kettle. Not done it once this year and only twice last year as far as I can remember.

I always seem to be so rushed for time I never sit down when I get to the plot..... well not since I retired.  :lol:

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #832 on: April 13, 2013, 11:04 »
Got up early this morning and planted a row of peas. 30% standard peas at one end,  15% mangetout at the other and half a 40p box of dried marrowfat's in the middle to see what happens! This row is just in front of my spuds so the ground was nicely dug over from last week but very sticky after the rain we've had. Wanted to dig an area over and put some seeds in but done the sensible thing and came home.

Eblana

« Reply #833 on: April 13, 2013, 11:14 »
Don't think I will get to the plot this weekend - the weather is fowl  :mad:  Will have to content myself with pottering in the greenhouse.  Had a ramble around the garden this morning - amazing how much stuff is actually starting to pop its head through.  I had a makeover done on the garden during the winter and thought I had lost a load of stuff as the guys who did the work didn't seem to get that I didn't want a low maintenance garden and were inclined to just dig like mad with their digger but a lot of my little gems that I thought were gone are now starting to reappear :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: April 13, 2013, 12:04 »
Put up the old polytunnel frame, just the canes to tie up to it for peas one side and beans the other, it was spitting and felt cold in the wind - so I came home  :(

candygold1

« Reply #835 on: April 13, 2013, 15:49 »
a day in front of the woodburner its non stop rain here :( still got to make 5 gallons of london pride and a gollon of wow :D

LJB12

« Reply #836 on: April 13, 2013, 18:19 »
Busy day for us ... Three and a half hours. OH got the most grassy bed dug over lovely and marked up into square feet. We planted up radish seedlings, little gem lettuce seedlings and seeds as well as beetroot and turnip seeds. Covered them over with a cloth tunnel to give a little protection. I got the strawberry bed ready and planted 16 strawberry starter plants. Weeded the broad beans, onions and garlic and got the potato bed ready for planting tomorrow hopefully. Put fertiliser in/on all the beds and round our raspberry canes. Came home just as the rain set n for the afternoon.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #837 on: April 13, 2013, 18:22 »
Another lovely day, just starting to rain as I came away at 5 o'clock. 

Digging out old raspberries, they have some huge roots on them, but the fruit has no flavour! 

Ghillie kettle came up trumps again, but took three goes to light it. You don't want to be in a hurry to have a cuppa with it! :)

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #838 on: April 13, 2013, 19:49 »
Started to get well rotted manure for "no dig " potato bed but after two loads and about half the bed the rain came! b****r

mike86

« Reply #839 on: April 13, 2013, 19:55 »
very quick visit today, a friend popped over with his strimmer and very kindly gave the grass a cut. checked on the peas and beans only to find half a dozen had been completely pull out with the loo roll tubes id planted them in. i can only guess it was the pesky cat that keeps terrorising my plot. popped them back in and went home for some lunch just before the rain started .

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 38 queries.