What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Jim the builder

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2013, 19:50 »
Ground still to cold, managed to get the grond cleared for the last part of my herb bed and made a start on the last part of my border fence. Nobody else down today except the robins (very grateful of the freshly turned over ground), beginning to think other half right maybe I do need my head examined!!!!! :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #526 on: March 12, 2013, 20:07 »
Braved the cold for a walk up to the plot to drop the new chicken rota for April off and check on lottie cat Tabitha (as she wasn't there sunday evening (and she's a fragile little old lady :unsure:) and found my netting had blown down over the onions and the fleece had blown down over the broad beans!

Rescued and fixed said net and fleece and dropped off a load of composting scraps.
Cat is fine! :happy:

Do you share chickens or have a communal coup?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Plots

« Reply #527 on: March 12, 2013, 23:28 »
Took some more broad beans from the greenhouse at home to the cold frame on the plot.  Maybe if the weather would just ease up a bit I might get them out into the ground under a cloche.

I'm miles behind - mine have yet to stick their shoots up above compost level let alone be wandering off to the plot!  :(  Normally my autumn sown ones are looking interesting - this year they are non-existent....simply not had the time.

Allotment visit? Maybe Thursday for an hour or two if I play my cards right.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

grendel

« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2013, 15:22 »
went to the other plot today and dug another width and then planted another row of potatoes and a few onions.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

candygold1

« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2013, 15:28 »
quite nice up the plot today  so planted all 130 of me onion sets and got the bed ready for me early spuds which ill plant tomorrow.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #530 on: March 13, 2013, 15:30 »

Do you share chickens or have a communal coup?

Sort of. There are 5 of us plot holders who bought 2 chickens each and we take turns (6 days a month each most of the time) to see to them daily and we all do a weekly clean.
Works a treat!
It was John and I who originally wanted the chooks and we took a long time to be able to get them as the then Chairman was really obstructive with no grounds for argument really!
John volunteered to have the run on his plot - it's his shed we congregate in for tea!! :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 17:02 by devonbarmygardener »

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2013, 16:41 »
Went up a 2PM and as I arrived it started to snow! Not heavy just a flurry. So waited in the greenhouse (nice a warm). It stopped - I went out and it started again. Came home for a cup of tea and a spot of extra planning/revision. Maybe tomorrow! (at least it's still trying to snow)

shaun_darbs

« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2013, 16:43 »
built a raided bed this morning in the garden and got it filled in this afternoon. its a foot deep, blooming killed me. also i dont have an allotment yet but im 1st on this waiting list so hopefully it wont be too long.

the excitement...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 16:44 by shaun_darbs »

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #533 on: March 14, 2013, 09:45 »
Planted 50 centurion onions and scattered and forked in a box of potato fertiliser into the soon (hopefully) planted potato patch  :wacko:
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

grendel

« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2013, 11:29 »
Did some work in the garden, edged the decking with some loose bricks and built up the earth in the bed to the level of the bricks. after that I put together my plastic greenhouses and shelving ready to plant seeds and bring on plants- once the weather warms up a bit.

Grendel

scattygirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #535 on: March 14, 2013, 21:50 »
I left my plastic greenhouses up all over the winter.  Just had a wooden pallet up against them to stop them from blowing away  :lol:

Just went down the plot for an hour after school today.  Dug another couple of rows of the 9m x 2.5m bed but my back wont take much more  :(  Little and often  ;)

Scatty xx

Sparkyrog

« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2013, 22:00 »
started begonia corms and sowed first runner beans  ;)
I cook therefore I grow

grendel

« Reply #537 on: March 15, 2013, 11:17 »
I take the covers off mine and put them away as soon as possible in the hope that the uv wont degrade them too much.
Grendel

Yana

« Reply #538 on: March 15, 2013, 17:33 »
Put in the bargain Blackcurrant bushes from Blackmoors after digging in well rotted manure.
Dismantled old compost bin and replaced with wooden crate that had stuff delivered in it. Perfect fit for the gap and still had cling film wrapped round it so should protect it from the elements a bit.
Put two water butts in place (one in the fruit plot and other in the veggie plot), ready for stewing comfrey tea later in the year.
Took old compost bin to the recycling centre as the wood was well past it's sell by date, along with other rubbish from the plot that couldn't be used for anything.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #539 on: March 15, 2013, 18:12 »
Nothing but feed chickens and a tabby cat! :)

Have bought 24 strawberry plants for weekend planting (they're going in a tower of pots in my greenhouse) - 6 Cambridge Fav; 6 Honeyoye; 6 Symphony; 6 Elsanta :happy:

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 37 queries.