What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Sweetpea C

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1830 on: July 06, 2013, 07:20 »
I weeded, watered and dug up some lovely new potatoes which are either pentland javelin or arran pilot (can't remember what went where). Popped to see my folks who were delighted with the gift of food!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1831 on: July 06, 2013, 12:01 »
I went down last night and gave everything a good soaking as it has been really hot here and I haven't been down all week so they had to rely on Tuesdays rain. I was half expecting everything to be looking on its last legs from the lack of water but it was all flourishing which was pleasing! I was worried as we go away for 12days at the end of July and I am worried everything will be dead but hopefully they will be able to cope if I drown them just before we go! I also munched another 10 strawbs while inspecting everything.  I did a quick weed round the main areas but I think I will do more of it tomorrow morning. Today I am out for the day!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1832 on: July 06, 2013, 14:21 »
Only watered today but took nearly an hour
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

karen.linda

« Reply #1833 on: July 06, 2013, 14:38 »
We weeded a little and watered today.  The runner beans have black aphids so will return tomorrow to spray with washing up liquid and water.  The rest is looking good and we harvested two more potato plants for use at dinner tonight. (Suttons Foremost) which weighed in at just over 2lbs.  We picked some spring onions to go in our sandwiches for lunch (made bread in bread-maker overnight so was ready on our return from the plot).  Returning tomorrow with a knife to cut some courgettes which have suddenly grown to a good size in a few days.

Whew!  it's really hot here today now.  :) 8)
P300613_14.12.jpg
Heck, yes,  I'm SHORT.  God only lets things grow until they're PERFECT. Some of us didn't take as long as others  :-)

FarmerGeddun

« Reply #1834 on: July 06, 2013, 17:16 »
Picked some strawberries - there are loads this year.  Had a quick look over the plots and then went to http://www.machenagriculturalshow.co.uk/.

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #1835 on: July 06, 2013, 18:23 »
Weeded, cleaned, hit a few more nails into the chicken shed, turned over half of the 'new plot' and planted leeks, lettuce and spring cabbage.

Dug up some new potatoes, picked some peas, raspberries, radish and strawberries.

Also put some mange tout peas in water over night to plant out tomorrow :)
2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1836 on: July 06, 2013, 19:12 »
The kids have gone up with hubby while i sort florence and keep an eye on my beetrot chutney. They have a list of what to pick and a whole cupboard full of tupperware, hubby wants to rotavate so off they all went.

Will see how long before they are all back having fallen out  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1837 on: July 06, 2013, 20:06 »
Are they all girls BQ?

Nope our oldest is a 15 year old boy

Next 12 year old girl

2 year old florence

And soon to be newborn  :blink:

They havent fallen out yet so some work may actually get done.

Flowertot

« Reply #1838 on: July 06, 2013, 20:12 »
BQ I love how your kids all get involved in your growing/picking.  My eldest boy (10) loves helping on our allotment with sowing seeds and harvesting but our youngest (5) is only interested in digging and making mud pies!  :lol:

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1839 on: July 06, 2013, 20:13 »
I know what you mean beetroot queen ive seen me blow my top more than once down at the plot with the kids doing my head in  :lol:
On the bright side a couple of them my 19 and 15 yo lad especially often come down and helps out with the weeding,the 15 yo likes nothing better than to build a shed or knock stuff together,its a bit of family time together in the fresh air.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1840 on: July 06, 2013, 20:19 »
They all seem to love it florence goes mad if we go without her which is why we go very eary 6 am or when she is napping or in bed at the end of the day.

Plots are good for families. My 15 year old just rang to say " can he eat some of the strawberries" or would i like to weigh them first  :lol: i told him i'd weigh him instead before and after in future

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1841 on: July 06, 2013, 20:47 »
First visit of the day, I weeded the shallot and bean beds whilst hubby erected the frame for the new gate.
Second visit of the day - watered, watered, watered. Emptied 2 butts and then filled an additional 20 watering cans.
Trying to decide whether to go back for a 3rd visit, as I forgot to bring Mint home to go in the Pimms :-(
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1842 on: July 06, 2013, 21:11 »
Couldn't resist the temptation of a Pimms, so did indeed go back for a 3rd visit to pick some Mint :D

allotmentann

« Reply #1843 on: July 06, 2013, 21:52 »
Watered everything well, and gave the courgettes, beans and sweetcorn  a seaweed feed. Did a little weeding. Planted out some climbing beans that have been sitting around (will need to make another wig wam). Planted out what I hope are leeks - they seem to have formed bulbs which I have not seen before! I sat for a while in the shade with a cool drink and just enjoyed the peace and the beauty.  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1844 on: July 06, 2013, 21:57 »
Watered, retrieved the windbreak from various parts of the plot.  Transplanted some leeks into a washing-up bowl of compost because I still have no space for them. Picked sweetpeas and strawberries.  Discovered I've got pear rust!!
Anne

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 1.362 seconds with 37 queries.