What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1080 on: May 05, 2013, 21:06 »
Popped back tonight did a bit more weeding, put some boards down around dads edging his plt has small climbing fruits and last grass cut the council strimmed them down to ground level.

Popped the bean frames up x 2 I said hubby could have one bed and he did two. I only have 7 beds left to plant and I have a lot to go in still. Honestly one bean frame is plenty  ::)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1081 on: May 05, 2013, 21:15 »
Spent a few hours on my own on the plot.  It's amazing how much I can get done without the children in tow!

I planted up the cut flower border on my new plot, built two wigwams for sweet peas and planted up.  I then planted dahlias, cornflowers, nigella, cosmos and rudbeckia into the border.

I planted three courgettes and two pumpkins under a coldframe on one of the lasagne beds.

I planted beetroot, lettuce, spring onions, climbing french beans and calendula into the other beds.

I then planted up some tomato plants into the greenhouse border as they were looking so hungry stuck in their pots.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: May 05, 2013, 21:38 »
Mowed, sowed, re-potted, watered, weeded, and listened to the new next-door-but-one neighbours having a party in their back garden to the accompaniment of loud music blaring from their open upstairs window all afternoon (rap, garage, whatever, but I don't remember them asking whether I and half the rest of the street's residents wanted to share it with them!)  :nowink:

Lovely warm sunshine though.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

grendel

« Reply #1083 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20 »
early start at 7.30 this morning to try and beat the heat of the day (ha fat chance) more weeding of the strawberry beds, I took some small containers and put some water in the bottom and laid the plants roots in them to keep them moist, 2 hours of weeding later and I have 2 buckets of strawberry plants (16 little trays) which I will be potting up as soon as I finish breakfast and coffee.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1084 on: May 06, 2013, 12:25 »
Not so much what I did yesterday but last week!
Got my cold frame up - just in time for this weeks gales!! :mad:
And put in the last of my earlies - I know but I only got the plot in mid-March and it needed a bit of work before I could use it. Also carrots (first lot) in, summer sprouting broccoli and celeriac in. Parsnips in but sulking I think.
Still onions and shallots are making good progress and bean frame up so catching up.

samfan

« Reply #1085 on: May 06, 2013, 14:23 »
A very late start for me this year:  Yesterday, I tidied up my plot, took down all the pea fences from last year and lifted all the weed surpressant.

Today, I rotovated the whole plot, I got a wee tiller for my Christmas, so it was it's first outing.  I have jelly arm syndrome now.  :lol:

Will hopefully sow some seeds later on, having a bit of a rest just now. :)

miggs

« Reply #1086 on: May 06, 2013, 14:23 »
A few more hours digging and hoeing today. I also planted out 36 Cabbage, 36 Cauliflower and 2 Strawberry plants.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1087 on: May 06, 2013, 14:49 »
Lots of watering, some weeding and my wife painted the shed. Mini greenhouse put up and pumpkins planted
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1088 on: May 06, 2013, 15:05 »
Sat in the greenhouse soaking up the heat!
Sowed more marrowfat peas for peashoots - yum!

Sowed 'Nero di Toscana' Kale (as I forgot with the other brassicas ???)

Sowed 'Bijou climbing Mangetout' peas and 'Golden podded climbing mangetout' peas - these will stay in the garden methinks as running out of room on the lottie!

Sowed more marigolds - for some reason only the African ones are germinating well this year - bizarre ???

Transplanted loads more seedlings.

Will water the lottie on the way to work this evening as I notice the carrot seedlings are showing. :D

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1089 on: May 06, 2013, 15:25 »
Sowed another row of peas, sowed more radish and lettuce, planted out my sweet corn as every one else seemed to be doing, sowed borlotti beans, planted marigolds bought from a car boot sale and also some radicchio (from prince Charles's estate don't you know.

Also started off some nettle brew and turned the compost.

Continued to excavate little hill in the corner.

Too hot in the end, now in garden having a beer.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

grendel

« Reply #1090 on: May 06, 2013, 15:27 »
now potted up 170 strawberry plants.
Grendel

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1091 on: May 06, 2013, 16:36 »
Only a quick visit for us today, suffering from a very late night (or is 3am classed as early morning?) and too much vino. Hubby did some DIY and then we put the bean frame up.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #1092 on: May 06, 2013, 16:53 »
Have recycled a garden canopy/pergola,  which has no canvas left and began tying the poles it to begin a bean frame.... Caused quite a stir I must say as its a big d unit :-). Mrs scenic suggest it would make a lovely shady den if left one site open as a door :-).  Planted out pak choi and sowed a couple of rows of nantes carrots under it to  just to make efficient use of the fleece run.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1093 on: May 06, 2013, 17:31 »
Haven't made it yet, my kids have school on bank holiday Monday so they use it as an excuse so the parents can join them for a may day fair  ::) they make amazing amounts for local charities but the parents all leave feeling well and truly conned.  ::)

I need to go to the plot to get over the fact I have been seen off lol  :mad:

jmc1949

« Reply #1094 on: May 06, 2013, 18:02 »
Finished covering the brassica bed. Watered everything and then potted up 6 alpine strawberry plants that were a present for helping someone. How lovely is that - I wasn't expecting that.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

79 Replies
Last post August 26, 2024, 20:02
by vikingraider

Page created in 1.278 seconds with 38 queries.