Jerusalem artichoke?.

• 18 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Jerusalem artichoke?.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 20:49 »
they make my little tummy rumble

They did a bit more than that to my OH.  He liked them, but was hovering over the sofa for hours afterwards.

The only thing that affected him worse than that was Elephant Garlic - that was just shocking  :lol:

Both got banished from the plot for ever after, but the artichokes are an easy and very productive crop.  Maybe buy and try some to see if you can cope with the after effects before you commit plot space  ;)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 22:47 »
I think it depends on the person I've never found wind a problem with them, but I peel them. I've used mine as a wind break :lol: along the boundaries of the lotty. going to mutipl them up  each year.
They are also really good health wise as they contain sugars that our bodies can't process ie sweetness with few calories. They were a British staple before the Tudors were introduced to the potato.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

viettaclark

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 23:42 »
I think that's why they cause wind. They're "difficult to digest!"
But they taste very good!

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 18:13 »
The lady on my plot before me planted a 2m square block, didn't  harvest them and eventually gave the plot up.
When I took over they were absolutely EVERYWHERE ! Growing in every single bed - even through the slightly dead looking raspberry bushes! A couple even got through to next door !  But I suspect this is an extreme case   :)

I ve spent a lot of time since digging them up. A lot were overcrowded so were about 6 cm long. the big ones though I took home, peeled and cooked like roast potatoes - very tasty!   ;) also put them in water and microwave for a few minutes, that's really good too. My mum then adds herbs and a knob of butter.

I like them but most of my family (all grown ups) don't. My 7 year old nephew liked them but they were a bit tough on his tummy. He ate quite a lot of them though (cooked like chips) and I've since been told that if u start by eating a couple mouthfuls then build up to more its easier on your stomach and the more often you eat them the less of the wind problem you get too  ;)

xx
jerusalem artichoke

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 16:09
by GreenOwl
xx
Jerusalem Artichoke

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 20:44
by WG.
xx
Jerusalem artichoke

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 11:10
by Sadgit
xx
Jerusalem artichoke

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 19:45
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 37 queries.