anyone tried potato La Bonnotte

• 7 Replies

missmoneypenny

anyone tried potato La Bonnotte
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:59 »
It's that time of year when one's thoughts turn to the seed potato catalogue. Anyone tried La Bonnotte (available from T&M) supposedly amazingly tasty- does it match the hype?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: anyone tried potato La Bonnotte
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:25 »
I'd never heard of them before I Googled - let alone tasted or grown them. They don't even seem to have appeared in the supermarkets until 2011.

but I note this is the T&M blurb
Their exquisite taste is due to the algae and seaweed found locally in the soil.
which makes me wonder if it's possible to replicate the correct growing conditions.

It's rather like trying to grow Jersey Royals when you don't live in Jersey - not often successful tastewise  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30 »
Worth a read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/08/02/tesco-to-start-selling-wo_n_915890.html

As mumofstig says, it's all well and good buying the seed, but can you replicate the growing conditions?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39 »
Worth a read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/08/02/tesco-to-start-selling-wo_n_915890.html

As mumofstig says, it's all well and good buying the seed, but can you replicate the growing conditions?

Judging by the drastic drop in price Tesco obviously can't.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:58 »
I've done some reading on french websites. What transpires is they do best on a sandy soil. They can't handle frost when close to harvesting (they get destroyed). Also they only keep for a few days, a week max after harvesting. Hmmmm....
They are floury, which the French don't like but it sounds like if you steam or roast them they are fine.
Sounds like a gamble to me.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:38 »
I don't gamble, so I'll give them a wide berth!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 15:32 »
"Amazingly tasty" sounds a hype to me, unless you can get corroborating evidence from on here.  ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 18:13 »
Some subjects are easy to "Gurgle" and I usually finish up really impressed at how easy it is to get quickly genned up.  ;)

The flavour of Jersey Royals isn't one of those subjects - seems that few can agree whether the taste really comes from the seaweed (vraic) traditionally used as a fertiliser, whether the fertiliser is in common use now (seems like hardly at all for the last 40 years or so) or even whether Jersey Royals actually have any notable flavour at all these days!

From DD's link I'd bet on the seaweed making the difference between growing La Bonnette on their "French island"  rather than somewhere else, in the same way that "International kidney" spuds don't seem to taste of much grown outside Jersey, or even in Jersey now they've stopped using seaweed fertiliser (allegedly!)

(Fresh mint, added towards the end of boiling to keep the flavour makes them all taste better though as long as you don't forget the butter!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Potato help please!

Started by Jsy Lou on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 17:16
by Manlea1
xx
potato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 26, 2017, 20:29
by mumofstig
xx
Potato Day

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 20:02
by sunshineband
xx
Potato help

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 22:39
by Tattieman69

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 38 queries.