feet covered in blood

• 9 Replies

Lardman

feet covered in blood
« on: December 05, 2012, 16:14 »
editited to get around censor.

Checking on the girls this PM I notice my to chicken has feet covered in blood, it's difficult to see but it looks like damage just above the knuckle type area.  I've pulled her out of the run and brought her inside, when she settles down a bit I'll try and check things out properly.

She's been a bit sulky for a few days and is getting on a bit. Is this likely  just to be the pecking order being reworked or something else ? As far as I know the run is rodent secure, there was no damage last night and I can't see any problems with the other 3 bird. I don't have any purple spray but I thought I'd clean her up with some warm water and put some vaseline on.

Chrysalis

Re: feet covered in blood
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 16:30 »
Aw! :(

Do hope she picks up a bit, soon.  Maybe she caught the skin on a long claw, or bit of wire?  can't really offer advice, only sympathy, but I'm sure warm, clean a dry will help her a lot...

C

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 16:41 »
the feet aren't really the normal place to attack in the pecking order squabble.
Check her for cuts and also for any twigs, thorns etc. Whilst checking also check her feathers for mites. Are her scales raised? if so then you need to treat for scaley leg mites.
Check her nails to see if one has been broken off or broken short and is down to the quick which would result in bleeding.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 16:57 »
She's a game old bird - probably not got long left in her.

I hadn't thought about catching in on the wire - she's tucking into some warm porridge at the moment and I haven't had chance to clean her feet but I think it's higher up than the nails.  Will be back with more questions shortly.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21 »
Best to clean up using salt water. Would not advise using vaseline as this will prevent the air getting to the wound and hinder healing. You could put on a very thin dressing of whatever antiseptic cream you have in your home first aid kit. If the wound is red don't put her back in with the others as they are likely to attack the red area. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:45 »
She seems much better this morning - food and water are going in one end and waste is coming out the other.  :blink:  Although she still won't let me check her over properly.

There's no more blood, so I think she may have been hurt in the 'Is he carrying food?' scrabble. I'll keep her inside for a few days of R&R.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 14:24 »
Mine have pulled or broken nails before and it does bleed a lot.  If they then sit down for a nap, as older girls are liable to do, it spreads up their legs and even onto the breast.

Have had a session recently with a wildly protesting chicken, looking for a breast wound and trying to clean her up, when all she had done was break a nail - done whilst fighting over food no doubt  ::)  I purple sprayed her foot and let her go - she threw me evil looks for days  :lol:

Sounds like your girlie is doing OK so far.  Sure she will enjoy the R&R indoors for a few days if she is an OAP.  My 2 oldies are spending a lot of time sitting inside the coop during this cold spell  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 15:22 »
I have used cornflour on bleeds (as advised by joyfull as an alternative if you don't have wound powder) it has worked really well on both comb and foot injuries.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:08 »
If you are struggling to examine her, wait until she has been asleep in the dark for about an hour and she should then be quite dopey and easy to manage. :)

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:12 »
She's back to her old grumpy self.  :D

Checking her foot today I think she must have caught it on the wire just above what would be the equivalent of an ankle. Lots of blood but not much damage, it's healed over nicely.

She's was moaning about being alone in the utility room so I've put her back in the run. I'll keep a close eye on her to make sure her leg gets no interest from the others.

xx
blood covered egg advice please

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 17:16
by Foxy
xx
cockerel covered in blood, been fighting. What to do?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2012, 20:15
by joyfull
question
chicken laying a blood covered egg

Started by tyandkay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 08:50
by kegs
xx
Egg covered in dried stuff and blood

Started by RandRranch on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 10:26
by andreadon

Page created in 0.938 seconds with 38 queries.