Seed-aholics anon again

• 208 Replies

SG6

Re: Seed-aholics anon again
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2013, 18:13 »
SG6 - Would still like clarification on this post, especially given that your last post seems to indicate that you're already struggling for space!  :lol:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100548.msg1134406#msg1134406

I have a length of the garden along one edge where I can construct a raised bed and put some additional veg in. The present bed I have is not that big, 2.5x1.5 mtr (bit les), and needs planning to get in what I keep trying. Worked OK so far but owing to the size never able to grow too much of anything. So I get stuff from Poundland and Wilkinsons in the smaller amounts they tend to do and Moreveg do seeds in small numbers - less waste.

Have another alternative but more difficult to turn into something for veg. I will probably keep it for a few fruit bushes and raspberries.

So I need a 3 to 3.5 meter long back board for the bed, seen 2 suitable planks in Wicks that should do the job. Aim to end up with a raised bed about 3x1.5 mtr - gravel boards from Wicks again. The new seeds are intended for this yet to be constructed area.

So yes bit restricted for space, intend to construct new area and then plant the purchased seeds. Suspect no-one wants to volunteer to construct the bed for me, do they?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2013, 18:38 »

Cucumber 'Cucino' F1 Hybrid
Quantity: 1£3.99

Shallot 'Figaro'
Quantity: 1£2.69

Celery 'Lathom Self Blanching' (Self blanching)
Quantity: 1£0.00

TOTAL£6.68 DISCOUNT £5.00 P&P £0.00 GRAND TOTAL £1.68

YAY :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2013, 18:40 »
SG6 - Would still like clarification on this post, especially given that your last post seems to indicate that you're already struggling for space!  :lol:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100548.msg1134406#msg1134406

I have a length of the garden along one edge where I can construct a raised bed and put some additional veg in. The present bed I have is not that big, 2.5x1.5 mtr (bit les), and needs planning to get in what I keep trying. Worked OK so far but owing to the size never able to grow too much of anything. So I get stuff from Poundland and Wilkinsons in the smaller amounts they tend to do and Moreveg do seeds in small numbers - less waste.

Have another alternative but more difficult to turn into something for veg. I will probably keep it for a few fruit bushes and raspberries.

So I need a 3 to 3.5 meter long back board for the bed, seen 2 suitable planks in Wicks that should do the job. Aim to end up with a raised bed about 3x1.5 mtr - gravel boards from Wicks again. The new seeds are intended for this yet to be constructed area.

So yes bit restricted for space, intend to construct new area and then plant the purchased seeds. Suspect no-one wants to volunteer to construct the bed for me, do they?

I was really trying to find out what you're doing with all that stuff you've sown mega-early.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2013, 20:11 »
I s'pose its a loss leader, but on page 23  there is a giant fuchsia plug plant pack for £4.99 with a free £5 voucher. So, with free postage this weekend, you're really  getting your plants for free.
So I just bought some for the hanging baskets  :D (I hope the right plants arrive this time though  :unsure:)

I'll spend the £5 voucher the next time they have free postage - and get even more seeds!

Love it  ;)

SG6

« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2013, 20:21 »
Keep looking at it to see if anything had germinated, so far about 15-20 leeks are about 3mm tall. Nothing else is showing. Just one variety of other leeks have appeared, the other is suspiciously non-existant.  >:(

Everything is in cells and yes planted 5 different varieties of tomatoes but only 3 of each, plan on one in three not coming through and garden nasties munching some other. Peppers, 6 of, and tomatoes will simply be in a row that will be 2mtr long and about 0.4mtr wide against a wall that gets sun, after that I'll give away any left over. Courgettes and squash just 2 of each. Idea is to grow a wide variety of anything but by limitations just a small number of each.

Parsnips - waiting to see how many germinate (have spare in case), maybe 2 rows of 8.

Potato's are a pack of 8 and will go into two large tubs, onions will be 3 rows of 12, garlics 2 rows of 12. Hardly a huge amount just a small number of several veg.

I can have 10 rows - use the brickwork to mark a row. So simply 10 rows of whatever. 2 garlic, 3 onion, 2 parsnip, 2 leeks is 9 rows, 1 more available - peppers and tomatoes go across the top and are not part of the rows. May reduce onions to 2 rows as they have been poor for the last 4 years I wonder if it is worth the space. Really comes down to 10 rows and how I split it up, ignoring peppers and tomato's, still leaves an odd 1mtrx0.6mtr rectangle for something as the bed is not perfectly rectangular.

Why I'm early, simply was too late last year and did nothing so started this year when I had the time.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2013, 20:47 »
But what are you gong to do with all those plants that can't go outside until the danger of frost is over?

That could be 4 months away! (or more).

It'll be another 2 months before I sow the seed for outside tomatoes and another 3 for things like courgettes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 20:54 by DD. »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2013, 21:26 »
I struggled last year with courgettes and squash and I only sowed them end March/beginning of April.  They were getting huge and ended up in 2L pots in the greenhouse waiting for the weather to improve  ::)

Can see the point in starting now with long season stuff like chillies, peppers and aubergines if you have a heated greenhouse to keep them safe, but hope the weather is kinder this year SG6 or you could end up re-sowing  :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2013, 23:44 »
So, I was all geared up for cleaning out the fridge (hate that job) when the post came and along with it a Thompson and Morgan seed catelogue. Forget 50 shades of grey, I know what i was more excited about!!!

:D  :D  :D

Willow_Warren

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34 »
I s'pose its a loss leader, but on page 23  there is a giant fuchsia plug plant pack for £4.99 with a free £5 voucher. So, with free postage this weekend, you're really  getting your plants for free.
So I just bought some for the hanging baskets  :D (I hope the right plants arrive this time though  :unsure:)

I'll spend the £5 voucher the next time they have free postage - and get even more seeds!

Love it  ;)

That's what I was going to do... I have a £5 promotional voucher now, but it won't work with the free delivery code  :( guess i was expecting too much. Could have used it on my seed order, if only it hadn't arrived a day later than I placed my order.  Still might buy the fuschias and use the voucher to buy some geraniums I want?  Or I could cancel my seed order and place it again (with the £5 voucher being worth more than the free delivery if £1.99)...

Hum...

Hannah

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47 »
It might be the type of voucher you have Hannah.

Quite a lot of us bought a plug plant offer last year that T&M then couldn't fulfill, so we got part of the order and a £5 voucher.  This was like a gift voucher, so does work with free P&P.

If it is a promo 'Get £5 off your order' voucher, it may not work with free P&P.  I'd give them a ring and see if they can amend your order to remove the free P&P and put the voucher on instead.  I've rung before for similar stuff and they have bent over backwards to help  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2013, 08:04 »
Yes, that is the case, I might see if I can amend my seed order, will save me a few £s.

I wonder if the £5 voucher than comes with the fuschias can ever be used on the free delivery weekend though? Think I might get them anyway, I always them in my balcony pots and chimney pot once the violas are out  :D

Hannah

Sweetpea C

« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2013, 08:46 »
Oh dear, I needed nothing at all from Wilkinsons but they have this top quality range of seeds, worth buying just for the packaging (I know I am a fool!) so I really do need to get the wasteland organised because I have got a lot to grow this year...oh, and a friend has put her order in for a weekly veg box...she's clearly got a lot more confidence in me than I have!

Anyway, feeling the need to get mucky so doing some more sweetpeas today and there are some lovely plants in the T&M catalogue that I am going to have to buy without telling the OH!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Ema

« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2013, 13:55 »
Just been into my local wyevale garden centre and it was as I feared 50% off seeds  :ohmy:

Ema

« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2013, 16:31 »
Disaster my seed box wont close!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2013, 17:26 »
You just have one? :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
Where to seed?

Started by Diggit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 19:59
by Diggit

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 38 queries.