Only two eggs a day??

• 33 Replies

cbv8

Only two eggs a day??
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:23 »
Hi All,
I have three hens who seem very happy now as i spoil them quite a lot i have had them around two months now and are all the hens are at least 12mths old but i have only ever had one to two eggs a  day should i not get three now and then or am i being a thicko  :blush:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:58 by cbv8 »

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Only two eggs a day??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:11 »
If your hens are 12 mths old and you are getting 2 eggs a day from 3 at this time of year and with the sort of weather we have had I would think you are exceedingly LUCKY  ::)
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

cbv8

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:34 »
If your hens are 12 mths old and you are getting 2 eggs a day from 3 at this time of year and with the sort of weather we have had I would think you are exceedingly LUCKY  ::)
Cool  ;)

Spana

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09 »
You think you've got problems ::)

I'm only getting 1-2 eggs a day,3 if i'm lucky and i've got 60 hens ::)

cbv8

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 15:49 »
You think you've got problems ::)

I'm only getting 1-2 eggs a day,3 if i'm lucky and i've got 60 hens ::)

Thats ridiculous  :ohmy: are you sure the hens are not eating what they lay  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 15:53 »
sadly hens need a certain amount of daylight hours to lay their eggs, also pure breeds tend not to lay over winter. Hybrids after their second winter also either go off lay or lay fewer eggs. Another reason is that hens also can go through their full moult this time of year and they need all of their energy to make new feathers.
I am getting just two eggs a day from 17 hens, the rest are being free loaders  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

cbv8

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 16:05 »
Wow mine must be supa dupa egg layers then  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 16:14 »
what breed are they and how old are they cbv8?

Spana

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 17:51 »
Think joyful hit it on the head, clever girl she is :D

Quite a few of mine are in moult, they are all traditional breeds and 50% are geriatrics ::)

Got 7 eggs today :happy:

cbv8

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 18:04 »
what breed are they and how old are they cbv8?
Hi Joyfull,
They are Lomann Browns x3 and are around 12 months old and they dont seem to be moulting yet perhaps its because they are in a sheltered part of the garden ie surrounded by 30 ft conifers and 6ft fencing  :unsure: All i do know is they are quite vocal when they see me and are getting more cheeky by the day whenever i'm in the coop they are all over me seeing what i am up to and staring at me with attitude it seems  :lol: :lol:   

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 18:10 »
that is why they are still laying - lomans along with warrens etc are bred purely as egg layers plus they haven't reached their second laying season. You may be lucky and even get eggs next year but if they go into a full moult then you will find that they stop laying.

cbv8

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 18:39 »
So i picked a good breed then to think i only picked these particular hens because they seemed friendly and inquisitive in the farm has paid off  :D I will forgive them next year if they stop laying for a while as they are now part of the family the eggs are a bouns  ::) thanks all for the info much appreciated  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 18:44 »
all breeds of hens lay about the same amount of eggs, however, pure breeds and cross breeds lay less eggs a week but for longer periods (often still laying the occasional egg at the age of 8) whereas your lomans will not (most hybrids will die at about 3 - 4 years of age  :().

cbv8

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 18:47 »
all breeds of hens lay about the same amount of eggs, however, pure breeds and cross breeds lay less eggs a week but for longer periods (often still laying the occasional egg at the age of 8) whereas your lomans will not (most hybrids will die at about 3 - 4 years of age  :().
Joyfull are you saying my hens will only live for around 3-4 years  :unsure:

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 18:59 »
sorry but yes (you do get the occasional one that will live a little bit longer but sadly not many  :(). These were bred as egg laying machines for the commercial industry and were expected to lay practically every day for upto 2 years and that takes a lot out of their bodies.

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.