Newby, Help!!

• 3 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Newby, Help!!
« on: November 27, 2012, 22:51 »
Hello Everyone.
Not only am I new to this forum but new to wine making & I'm a bit confused with my 1st results. I was bought a complete starters kit along with a Solomon Grundy's Rose 6 bottle wine kit, I did everything in the instructions to the letter but when I came to bottle it up I only got 5 & 1/2 bottles. I did rack it once & it was quite clear, should I have done it a 2nd time because there was about an inch of sediment left in the bottom which I presume is the missing 1/2 bottle. any help would be great.
Keith

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Newby, Help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:57 »
Probably about right, depends on the initial liquid volume metric or imperial, you probably should have got 6 bottles out of it if metric as 5 litres divided by 0.75 is 6.6. Some wastage being the 0.6, so 6 bottles.

If however you made it to 1 gallon (4.55 litre) that is 6 bottles but no wastage. You will have lost some during racking etc so 5 and a half bottles would be about right.

Being a kit you cannot realistically "scale" it up a bit to have a bigger volume as you can with a fruit based one where if it says 3lb of fruit you make it 3 1/2 lbs and a little more liquid.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57 »
Wine making is not a precise art or skill so you can top up with a bit of water or better still grape juice. also dont just accept the finished result it can be change with the addition of lemon juice/ sweetex ect 
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 16:58 »
After racking I top up. The 1/2 bottle won't keep and should be drunk. I try to keep mine in the demijohns as long as poss before decanting into wine bottles.

xx
newby

Started by ciderman on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:48
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 36 queries.