Wobbly and poorly hen

• 6 Replies

Chippet

Wobbly and poorly hen
« on: November 26, 2012, 20:47 »
 Wondering if anyone can advise.
Since last week my 6month Hybrid last been a bit off colour, started on Thursday when she didn't come out of the coop as quickly as normal and last sorta stood about all day with her tail down.
Friday she looked a bit better, so didn't think much of it.
Saturday she looked dull again and I got hold of her and her crop felt empty, I tried bringing her in to see if she would eat and she seemed more stressed, so put her back out and she ate some porridge with the others.
Sunday she was much the same, I spotted her at one point opening her mouth like she was yawning, but not seen that since. But looked in her mouth and pulled out a piece of grass.
Today she came out the coop with the others, so thought she was feeling better, but then got home and she's wobbly, she can stand and walk, but seems 'drunk' - she's eaten some mash and corn, but not much. Her poos are a bit watery, but not bad.

Any thoughts? I'm gonna worm her when I get some flubenvet.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Wobbly and poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 21:14 »
You need to worm her immediately and also get her to a vet - it is a long time for her to be ill and often by the time a hen shows signs of an illness they are often really ill.
Staffies are softer than you think.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:58 »
I'd have to agree with Joy.  The best thing you can do is get her to a vet ASAP.  If you have no wormer (and I know Flubenvet is not easy to get hold of at the moment), they can prescribe something and you need enough to treat all your girls.

Chickens live to eat so, if she hasn't eaten properly since last Thursday, she is suffering.  Hens hide sickness very well.  As Joy says, looking a bit off colour to you may mean really quite unwell.

Hope you can get her treated and she bounces back to health  :)

Chippet

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 21:48 »
Took her to the vets, she got a couple of injections, antibiotic and pain relief, oral wormer and another antibiotic today. Vet said he didn't think was suffering as seems quite bright.

She's much the same, still not eating much, although is taking small amounts and is still wobbly. Not sure what to do with her really.

Chippet

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:20 »
Still wobbly this morning  :(
Seems bright though and came straight over when I went out with pellets (although slowly) even ate some, but I had to hold the feeder at a specific height so she could get at it, otherwise she'd have a wobble.

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 13:21 »
Hopefully the various medications the vet prescribed will start to kick in soon (& you said she seems brighter today so that could be a good sign :)). In the meantime try and encourage her to eat & drink as much as you can to keep her strength up.

Hope she gets better soon.
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 14:02 »
keep a close eye on her as the other hens could attack her (if necessary keep her in her own separate run within sight of the others).

xx
HELP! Princess poorly - standing still & wobbly legs

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 16:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
wobbly chicken

Started by bclampton on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 10:07
by Sassy
xx
Wobbly chicken sat on her bum !

Started by Kwakali on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 22:24
by joyfull
question
wobbly chicken

Started by simes42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 18:44
by tstainesmoore

Page created in 0.949 seconds with 38 queries.