Sodden Ground & Winter Root Crops

• 23 Replies

Fisherman

Sodden Ground & Winter Root Crops
« on: November 26, 2012, 17:01 »
Like many my plot has been sodden now for months and I was wondering how long winter root crops like Parsnips, Swede and Autumn King Carrots can cope with the conditions? I could lift them and store them but would prefer not to.

My Brussels rotted off in the wet conditions weeks ago and they were in a raised bed!

Makes me wonder whether the ground will dry out in readiness for the next growing season  :(

Its absolutely hammering down at the moment. Lets hope for a sunny 2013 8)

Trillium

Re: Sodden Ground & Winter Root Crops
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 18:08 »
I watched someone's video somewhere where they had the same problem and were forced to dig them up because some of the veg had already started to rot and digging up was the only way to salvage the rest. Better to have something than nothing.

The UK seems to be having some strange weather patterns and it's either drought, or unusual freezing, or continuous rain so there seems little point in fighting the inevitable. My choice would be to dig up what's left and have alternative plans in mind for spring if it continues.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 21:43 »
I think you might be right Trillium and perhaps I'm just avoiding the inevitable. I am considering putting cloches over part of the crops to see if that helps and the rest will be dug up and stored.

As for the weather I have never known such wet conditions. Hopefully the unusual freezing conditions won't follow!

Yana

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 22:24 »
I haven't been to the lottie since before the weekend (work got in the way) so am now dreading what I might find.
If the ground is very wet I have opaque plastic that I can make clothes out of but won't this make the problem worse if I don't make sure that the air can circulate?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 23:45 »
I've given up for the duration, I only have brassica and a few spindly leeks, the rest is mud. Oh and some winter onions.
IMG_1350.JPG
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:52 by Annen »
Anne

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46 »
Not sure cloches are going to help with waterlogging. They'll stop the rain directly but they won't stop it pooling.

sarajane

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:12 »
Oh dear Annen and you look as though you have a lovely plot under all that water :(

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58 »
Oh dear Annen and you look as though you have a lovely plot under all that water :(
Thanks for the sympathy, sob! 
At least it is only half my plot some on the site are totally submerged, you can just see the tops of cabbages sticking out the water.  Double height raised beds next year I think.
IMG_1348.JPG

sarajane

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 11:00 »
O my gosh, that looks deep.  Floating cabbages   :(

Eblana

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06 »
I have autumn king carrots in my PT.  Went up the other day to see did they need watering  :blush: only to find that even the PT where the plastic covering is dug down over 2.5 foot into the ground is waterlogged in places because the water table is now so high.  The rest of the plot has an awful lot of standing water between the raised beds.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39 »
Went up the other day to see did they need watering  :blush:

:D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 12:13 »
Really sorry to hear people are losing winter crops now after such a dissapointing summer  :( That picture of the submerged cabbages just says it all  :(

My plot is on a steep slop so no standing water, but it is also clay soil so trying to stay off it as I will just compact it to solid lumps.  Will count my blessings I think and go try and harvest something at the weekend when hopefully, the cold snap will have firmed up the ground a bit  ::)

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:36 »
The pics made me realise how lucky we are on our plot. I was even able to do a bit of digging on sunday.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 13:18 »
I don't have any standing water on my plot but it is saturated just below the surface, and my plot is usually very free-draining. The water table is very high at the moment so I've abandoned it all now til the new year - don't want to cause more damage by walking on (or should that be 'wading through') the soil.

Question is, what to do with all this spare time  :unsure:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 14:13 »
My soil is very sandy on top of sandstone subsoil and drains away like a sieve (but so do all the nutrients!)

Someone somewhere must have that medium crumbly loam we are often told is the ideal soil for growing most things in, but I have yet to see anyone boasting of it on here!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Root crops and compost

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 21:32
by Snowboar
xx
Chitting root crops.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2020, 22:19
by Wellington
xx
Opinions please - root crops

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 09:49
by paintedlady
xx
Green Manure and Root Crops!

Started by Dirty Fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:59
by DD.

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 38 queries.