new member - poorly chicken, help please

• 23 Replies

helens-hens

Re: new member - poorly chicken, help please
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18 »
Might be worth asking your vet about the Avipro - they may well stock it.

Hope all goes well this afternoon - let us know how you get on.
Helen

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 17:47 »
We havent taken her to the vet mainly for financial reasons.

... my own vet knows nothing about poultry (although knows how to charge me nearly £1k a year for medicines for my cat’s heart condition!) ...

I'm sorry but this attitude has made me quite cross. 

£1,000 for a cat but nothing for a chicken. >:(

... I will find a poultry friendly vet and see if they can help.  ...

I'm glad you have decided, at last, to do the right thing for the hen. 

PaulineM

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 19:42 »
Hi
How did you get on at the vets?  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45 »
Hi
How did you get on at the vets?  :)

Just what I was wondering.  I hope things have improved.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

harehatch chooks

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 14:40 »
Update on Teresa for those interested in how she got on at the vets:

Vet thinks she has some kind of blockage, which is why she is not eating much or doing much.  He ruled out any of the other things we talked about – EYP, egg bound etc.  No sign of mites or worms.  Strong heartbeat and bright eyes.  So he thinks it might be some kind of cancerous tumour, which is sadly terminal, but he is not sure as he couldn’t feel anything.  So he gave us the option to put her down , or to carry on doing exactly what we have been doing (keep her watered, fed, warm and safe).

For those who tried to help and give me practical advice (especially helenshens, Pauline M and ANHBUC), thank you for your help and support.  It was appreciated at a time which was quite upsetting and difficult.

I am glad that I have done the best for Teresa, and that the vet said we had been doing the right thing.

Incidentally – if anyone is looking for the Marriages pellets with Flubenvet, ours arrived on Friday – we got them from www.farmandpetplace.co.uk – ordered them online and they were quick to despatch.  Don’t know if they still have any in stock but just thought I’d let you know if interested….

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 17:07 by Aunt Sally »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 15:42 »
You came on here looking for advice but you didn't like what you heard.  The advice given was the same anyone would receive in this situation.  Welfare of any animal must always be paramount and sparing the feelings of the owner is not our first concern.  I'm sorry you feel like this but having read through the entire thread I can't see anything other than sound, reasonable advice.  If you have a problem with anything you should take that up with them, not post on the open forum.
Cheese makes everything better.

PaulineM

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 16:08 »
Hi

I'm sure you did your best for Teresa  :)

It is also very hard for an inexperienced owner to decide when/if their hen needs dispatched.

When mine were recently ill, although on antibiotics, one seemed to get much worse and I was just considering getting my neighbour to do the deed when she started to improve.

There is no doubt that a course on dispatching or an experienced neighbour who can dispatch is a good thing to have, however, I think a worried and upset owner can be gently lead in the right direction.

Everyone is different and sometimes our feelings can lead to either keeping a hen alive for longer than is best or just hoping that nature will take its course.

I know my neighbour is 'dispatch happy'  :( any signs of things being wrong (even bullying) - dispatch.

Beano

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 16:43 »
Hi,
I've just caught up with this thread and feel for you and your lovely hen.
It is often difficult to know whether you are doing the right thing or not.
We have a hen at the moment who is blind and deaf and it is pathetic to see her pecking an fresh air looking for food but eventually she finds it and it is probably more upsetting for me than for her. Sometimes I think we are being cruel to keep her like this but when I realize that she is eating ok and is fine with company I change my mind and realize that I am doing the mistake of giving her human feelings.
I hope that you are happy with whatever decision you have made.
Once again I empathize with you and your dilemma. It was obvious that you care very much for you chickens.
All the best
Bano.
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 19:35 »
Anybody who posts on here that they cannot or will not take their animals to the vets when they are suffering for financial reasons or not will get the same response from me everytime.
As it turns out a vets visit was necessary - without seeing the bird nobody can give an accurate diagnosis and trying to diagnose it on here would have prolonged her agony.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
there is a chicken i want on preloved could a member view the phone number

Started by lee-d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 15:24
by ANHBUC
xx
New member with chicken crop/neck/throat proiblem - advice please

Started by richienat on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 11:56
by richienat
xx
Help Poorly Chicken

Started by Nick on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 10:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Sarah C on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:05
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 37 queries.