Mince Pies

• 66 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: Mince Pies
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 17:06 »
They look fine. Don't get disheartened.  ;) ANd as you say everthing tastes good with custard except Cornish Pasties.
If you are going to use bought puff get an all butter one from Waitrose or Sainsburies.

Did you brush the tops of the pies with some water, turn them over and push them onto the bottom of your pie. If you dip your fingers in a little plain flour and then push around the edges of your pies it keeps the lids on without your fingers sticking.

I always use a butter, sugar and ground almond pastry for my pies. Really easy with a food processor. And even the rerollings are good.
I can give you the recipe if you would like it. :)

Making mince pies gets easier after a little practice. I have just made my first 14 dozen this year.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 17:25 »
Yes please Mrs B, it sounds lovely!
I have to say I've never been keen on mince pies (I think it's the filling) but next year I might have to take a leaf out of Grendel's book and make my own as that sounds scrummy.
Mags  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 19:50 »
I always add a lot of chopped cooking apple to my mincemeat, makes a lot lighter filling  :happy:

sarajane

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 22:25 »
Thats 168 mince pies Mrs Ball.  Thats some going especially as you make your own mincemeat.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 10:01 »
It is indeed Sarajane and that is before I make our  mincepies. And I have just had another order for more mincepies this morning. :unsure:

My son was quite worried yesterday evening when I told him how many orders I had and he asked if I was actually going to get round to making any for us!! :lol:

As if I have ever let them down. It was rather good to notice that everytime he enters the kitchen and I there is washing up or drying he gets stuck in without being asked. Now that is a sign of desperation. Since I have invested in silicone bakeware they don't get the breakages anymore :lol: :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18 »
And here is the recipe for you Auntie.
250g plain flour
50g ground almonds
75g caster sugar
150g unsalted butter
1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons of cold water.

This recipe is very forgiving and you can reroll quite a few times without it going tough. When made leave in the fridge to rest for about 30 minutes. Can also be frozen.
Here also is a quick mincemeat recipe that only needs a couple of days to sit in the bowl and mature. It is light and fresh.
*1 x 500g mixed dried fruit. I get the value dried fruit.
*450g cored and peeled apples. 1/2 eating such as Braeburn or Coxes and half Bramleys. Cut them into small dice.
*100g caster sugar
*100g brown sugar
*1 tsp mixed spice
*1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*1/4 teasp freshly ground nutmeg
*Rind and juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 orange feel free to adapt the spices. Star anise is a good one to add if you like aniseed

Mix all together in a large mixing bowl and leave for 2 to 5 days for the flavours to develop.

When using , strain off the juices. These can be reduced in a pan and mixed with whipped double cream and a little brandy to accompany the mincepies or you could use some of the mince meat in some american style pancake and use the reduced juices as a pouring syrup on the pancakes. :) ;)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 11:59 »
That's a lot of mince pies Mrs B!

I'm still to make any kind of start to mine!  I was too busy trying to finish off and advent calendar (finished on Saturday at 6pm - so just in time) and my nieces Christmas card (last posting date for it to get to her is Tues/Wed of this week!).  Nothing like a bit of "just in time"...

Hannah   :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 15:11 »
Thanks Mrs B, promptly pasted into my growing diary!  :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 15:22 »
I've got a ball of the pastry in the fridge resting for attempt #2  :blink: I don't think Im up to making the filling though.

Has anyone seen a low sugar mincemeat ? This Robinsons stuff puts jam to shame !

edit : Getting there - pastry seems a bit biscuit like - did I use too much butter?

attempt2.jpg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 16:54 by Lardman »

Spana

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 17:47 »
pastry seems a bit biscuit like - did I use too much butter?

Well i wouldn't refuse one, or three. They look fine to me :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 18:58 »
My thoughts exactly  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 20:19 »
They look perfect, Lardman.  ;)

sarajane

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 20:32 »
They look gorgeous Lardman  -  slightly warm ,icing sugar and a big blob of cream ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 22:11 »
I've got a ball of the pastry in the fridge resting for attempt #2  :blink: I don't think Im up to making the filling though.

Has anyone seen a low sugar mincemeat ? This Robinsons stuff puts jam to shame !

edit : Getting there - pastry seems a bit biscuit like - did I use too much butter?

Next year you can have a go at making your own in around October. I have been making the same recipe for 26 years, I was given it by  a lady I met at a post natal group that she & I went to with our 1st babies. Unfortunately she died about 12 years later so I make it in memory of her.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grendel

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36 »
the pastrys supposed to be like that, so you can pull the lid off and eat it with that bit of soaked in mincemeat, yum.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Mince Pies

Started by Eblana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 05, 2016, 05:36
by LILLILEAF
xx
Mince Pies

Started by Missey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 29, 2018, 17:09
by wighty
xx
Who ate all the pies ?

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 20:03
by Mrs Bee
xx
First bramble pies of the season.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 27, 2012, 01:23
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.