First time allotmenteer/gardener

• 6 Replies

Sandysoil

First time allotmenteer/gardener
« on: November 19, 2012, 21:43 »
So I got my allotment keys last weekend (only waited two years).  It's very overgrown, has an enormous buddleia tree, two sheets of corrugated iron, an abandoned raised bed (probably salvagable), miscellaneous bits and pieces of random plastic, metal etc. and lots and lots of couch grass.  This is also the most excited I've been for months.  I ran around my plot waving my arms around in triumph, until eventually it dawned on me that I should probably be off buying tools and useful things.  I promptly failed at that by going to all the wrong places where there was nothing useful at all. 

So the couch grass is going to be a problem.  I've read this site and other sites, and digging appears to be the way forward.  Only there's just one of me and an awful lot of plot.  Does it help stop or weaken the grass if I cover everything with plastic?  Does this stop the grass from regrowing as I clear strip by strip?  Do I need to cover with manure?  Once dug up can I just take it to the tip and dump it there or should I be doing something clever with it?  I would very much like to be growing things in the spring so clearing the land now must surely be the way forward?

All advice welcomed!

p.s. I'm not so keen on weed killers ... I will use as a last resort but would rather not.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: First time allotmenteer/gardener
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 22:27 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new lotty (we all know how you feel  ;):D

It's really the wrong time of year to be using weedkillers as they need the plant to be in active growth to be most effective.  If you are still struggling by April or May, then I would use them once to ensure you get on top of the weeds before they get on top of you.

If the soil is sticking to your boots, keep off as you will damage the soil structure.  Otherwise, yes digging is the best way to get rid of couch grass.  The roots are easy to identify - like piano wire.  Do not rotavate  :ohmy:

Covering up the grass will weaken it and stop it regrowing in the spring until you have had time to tackle it, but I wouldn't worry too much about covering it at present.

I always put my couch grass roots in the green waste bin at home, or took it to the tip.  I found my compost bin didn't kill it.  You could put it in black bin bags to rot down, or drown it, but you may find that there is too much of it in comparison to the space you have available.

If you click the GrowYour Own link underneath the main banner at the top of the page, you'll find an article about clearing the plot which may be of some use too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12 »
Congratulations on your new plot. I felt just the same as you (although I hadn't been waiting long and wasn't really expecting a plot - but that's another story!). I still feel just as excited. It is the best thing that I have done in a very long time. There is so much satisfaction in transforming a neglected piece of ground into a productive and beautiful plot. There is always something new to learn and it keeps you fit as well! :)
Couch is a pain, but not the worst weed and can be eradicated with persistence. I have cleared all mine by digging. Just take your time and be thorough.
Hope to see some pictures of your new plot sometime and hear all about your plans for it :)

Sheneval

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:12 »
Congratulations - When we got the kids plot/s which was covered in grass and weeds we strimmed all the top growth and dug it all over. We then went ovet it on hands and knees and removed piece of grass/weeds we could find and took them to the dump, now known as the recycling centre.  We put in a few bags of manure and a couple of compost to compensate for the loss.  Since June we have had to hoe a or hand weed a very limited number of weeds and over the last few weeks the plot has been completely weed free.  When I finally get my own plot I intend to do something similar although I will limit the manure to the potato plot.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:05 »
Congratulations! It's a great feeling, and the best thing is that it doesn't wear off...

I echo what the others have already said. And right now is a great time for planning what you might do with the plot.

Everyone is different - I'd take it in small sections when the soil is dry enough to work, otherwise it gets a bit overwhelming. If the raised bed is reclaimable, you could possibly start there now with some hand weeding and pop in something that will grow over winter (like garlic or broad beans). That way you've got something going, which does make a huge difference.

I've had my plot since March, and have about half of it sorted. But that was because I inherited 5 raised(ish) beds. The rest is covered in couch, creeping buttercup, blackthorn and brambles. Next Spring will be all about digging!

Good luck!

bigfatwallet

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 13:18 »
Gratz on your new plot. I've had mine for 3 weeks and I'm sure everyone at work is fed up of me talking about it lol.

Weedkiller isn't an option at this time of year so you're safe there. Covering up bits you're not working on will help reduce the growth but I'm of the opinion that is a long term, leave it and wait a year scenario which I didn't want and sounds like you don't.

I've cut 50% down to about 6 to 12 inches and digging it over by hand inch by inch so to speak. I find this the best way albeit more time consuming. In the long run I'll have better yield and less weeds and by the time I come to plant stuff in April/May I should be towards the end of the plot anyway.

Hope this helps. Just try not to let it get to you as it will be hard work.

Sandysoil

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 23:09 »
Thanks for all the advice!  I will probably start on the raised bed ... it's at least and easily defined area to start on.
 :)

xx
First time allotmenteer

Started by KerryE on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 20:14
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
Hi - first time allotmenteer

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 17:13
by candygold1
xx
New Allotmenteer

Started by WeedDetester on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 31, 2006, 20:10
by Eristic
xx
Novice 'allotmenteer'

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 02, 2006, 07:50
by Jeanieblue

Page created in 1.579 seconds with 36 queries.