Help...my chicken has conjunctivitis

• 6 Replies

Emmam

Help...my chicken has conjunctivitis
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:59 »
I went to put the chicks away last night and one of the cockerels was sitting in the corner of the run looking very sorry for himself, on closer inspection his right eye was shut together and his left was really gunky!!  I bathed then a couple of times during the evening and called a vet friend who has suggested I go to the chemists and get some human optrex with antibiotic and treat him with this, unfortunately she lives to far away to be my vet so I can not show her "Charlie", does anyone have any suggestions and have they heard of this before??  In himself he seems ok, i have brought him indoors and he is eating alright especially if it's mealworms!! Thanks Emma

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help...my chicken has conjunctivitis
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:55 »
I would get him to a vets - without seeing the bird nobody can make an accurate diagnosis I'm afraid. There are several reasons for eye infections and you really should get the correct medication for whichever infection he has.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47 »
I agree with Joyful.

I have treated conjunctivitis successfully in horses on several occasions with a mild solution of salt water. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:19 »
If you can't get him to the vets straight away you can use a tea bag soaked in boiled water and left to cool.  Hold it over the eye for as long as you can, the tea has antiseptic qualities.  Make sure you use a different tea bag for each eye and wash your hands thoroughly each time.  I hope he recovers soon.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Emmam

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 21:03 »
Thank you so much for your help and comments!  :D

Although i have had a few chickens for about 7 years now I have been really really lucky with health and the minute I saw a problem I panicked  :ohmy:  

I have been washing out his eyes every two hours and putting in drops - could not get an appointment with the "vet that knows about chickens"!!  His eye's seem to be a bit better today and we have an appointment on Monday, he's not eating or drinking much as he has trouble seeing what to peck at however when I put a tub of mealworms in he seems to be able to find them ok - coincidence I'm sure!!!

Thanks again as I'm loving reading about everyone's love of chickens and enjoyment - makes me feel almost "normal"

Emma xx
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:21 by Emmam »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:10 »
Glad things are a little better.

Welcome to the site for people "mad about chickens" so you are very normal whilst on here!   :lol:

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:16 »
My Orp had a gunky eye a while ago, which turnd out to be part of a mild respiratory infection. In the days before we took her to the vets we (well, Mum did it!) cleaned out the eye with lukewarm saltwater. The vet gave us some eye drops (1-2 drops in each eye twice a day) and some oral medication which we put in the food for her and her sister. Hope your chicken recovers well  :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken Poo what do you do with yours?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 12:58
by joyfull
xx
gay chicken

Started by taximan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 18:19
by joyfull
sad
chicken

Started by stefsp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 17:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.