Chicken Poo and wood ash

• 12 Replies

fred-quimby

Chicken Poo and wood ash
« on: November 14, 2012, 13:04 »
Was down the plot today doing a bit of digging when  an non allotment guy came up and asked me if I wanted any of the above.  Not being one to turn down freebies of any description I instantly turned round and collected same.  4 bags of chicken poo and a bag of wood ash with a promise of much more to come.  :D

Now.  I have only had my allottment for about 6 months and I have very little growing in it.  I have very heavy clay soil with a ph of about 8 so I covered the allotment with about 3 or 4 inches of horse manure and rotavated that in.  Had it covered now for about 2 months and I am gradually pully back the plastic and digging/preparing beds for next year. 

The million dollar question is ....  What do I do with the chicken poo and wood ash?
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Chicken Poo and wood ash
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 13:07 »
No idea re the wood ash. you need to rot the chicken poo down a bit before you can use it.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 13:28 »
Hi, I put my wood ash from my fire around my fruit trees and roses. I read somewhere that they like it.

As for the chicken poo, I dug some into my garden one autumn one year before we had anything in there. Was a bit inexperienced then and did not know you were meant to let it rot down. Nether the less my plants have done really well in that area of the garden this year.

fred-quimby

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 13:44 »
Sorry I forgot to mention the guy said that the chicken poo was already composted, although what non composted stuff looks like I have no idea.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 13:46 by fred-quimby »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 14:01 »
A very recent thread here with a few tips on using wood ash.

As far as I know rotted chicken manure can be used just like any other manure, although it's possibly a bit higher in nitrogen than some others, which is no bad thing.
You are very lucky to have been offered both for free and completely out of the blue!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 14:59 »
You can spread the rotted chicken manure now over the growing areas which is what I do in fall. By spring, the nutrients have leached down into the soil and everything is ready for planting. 4 sacks sounds like a lot but once spread, it's not all that much.

Leave the wood ashes until spring and then spread them around the growing areas to help neutralize the pH levels a bit from the manure. It also helps boost good root systems.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 16:23 »
In a nutshell - chicken poo will raise your ph a bit so spread it all over and dig it in. The wood ash is "Potash" and can be sprinkled on all fruiting and flowering plants in summer. Handful to a sq mt. is all you need. Strawberries love it!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

fred-quimby

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 15:41 »
As usual some really good advice.  Many, many thanks.  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 17:37 »
Wood ash is supposed to be good for onions etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 17:42 »
Yep snowdrops I agree..  A top dressing of woodash benefits the allium family by deterring soil born pests and onion worms..  It will benefit beans, onions, garlic, leeks, parsnip and carrots - crops that will be in the ground for a long period.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 18:39 »
I think you can add wood ash to the compost although I'm not sure of the recommended amount. We have chickens and their 'doings' go in the compost.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

solway cropper

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 22:07 »
If your soil pH is around 8 you will likely increase it by adding those materials as both are on the alkaline side. That puts it on the high side for a lot of garden veg so you'd need to think about getting it down a bit.

Just out of curiosity, did you measure the pH with one of those two pronged things?

They are notoriously inaccurate so if you did I would suggest testing by a more reliable method before making a final decision.

fred-quimby

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 10:34 »
If your soil pH is around 8 you will likely increase it by adding those materials as both are on the alkaline side. That puts it on the high side for a lot of garden veg so you'd need to think about getting it down a bit.

Just out of curiosity, did you measure the pH with one of those two pronged things?

They are notoriously inaccurate so if you did I would suggest testing by a more reliable method before making a final decision.

I measured it with a chemical thing I got from B & Q

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
wood ash

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 18:58
by rowlandwells
xx
Wood ash

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 23:08
by Dantheman
xx
wood ash

Started by BostonInbred on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 22:41
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 29 queries.