home saved parsnip seed results

• 9 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
home saved parsnip seed results
« on: November 12, 2012, 18:48 »
I saved some parsnip seed this time last year from a plant I let flower.

Germination was amazing, both from seed that fell to the ground on harvesting, and that which I sowed in the Spring

I sowed one row of my home saved seed, and a parallel row of F1 Albion seed on the same day. Albion germination was slightly worse but not too bad.

Outcomes were variable from my own seed, but mainy very small roots - maybe I needed to have thinned them more, I thought!

Yesterday I dug some from the Albions -- wow! Decent sized roots, despite being so poorly thinned that one forkful had seven parsnips in it and hardly any soil between them.

Verdict -- home saved seed not worth the effort ( as some said to me at the time  :lol: ) which of course as it was from an original F1 would not come true. I still wondered if I might get some decent roots in amongst some odd ones but no......

...... just thought I'd share this in case anyone else is tempted  :blink:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

Re: home saved parsnip seed results
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 19:44 »
I often wonder whether to try them, KC, but as this year's were the first we'd grown for some time, I was in two minds, possibly three, occasionally five...

As we really need only a couple of dozen 'snips each year, (we've had one at 2.5 lbs, which lasted for ages), I reckon that the time comes when you say, 'Enough is enough', and just make an easier path to getting them going, rather than saving seed.

Good for you though, for trying, because if you'd reported a huge success, Mrs G and I would have been collecting all sorts of seeds from them, but not until next year of course, so you've saved us a job!

Interesting subject, saving seed - we're doing more this year, but mainly peas and beans so far - and toms, and cuces, and peppers, ...

Not to mention Mrs Growster's flower collection, but I don't eat those...;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:15 »
I was pleasantly surpised at how good the Albions are though -- each one weighs around a pound, which is about right for us, and leaves plenty behind once yo have topped and peeled it too.

Not worried about achieving  those giant creatures that lurk underground in some plots: find those very difficult to dig out whole anyway  :lol: :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:28 »
Interesting experiment, thanks for sharing the results sunny. Albion is a great parsnip, in fact my favourite to grow.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42 »
Not worried about achieving  those giant creatures that lurk underground in some plots: find those very difficult to dig out whole anyway  :lol: :lol:

One of my plot neighbours planted leeks by using a crowbar to make the hole last year.  He was boasting about the length of blanched stem he was going to get, but when the time came, they were near on impossible to dig out.  Looked pretty when they flowered  :lol:

Interesting you got such good roots by not thinning that well - goes to show that there are many ways of growing and getting the crop you actually want  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:27 »
Last year I grew Gladiator in paper pots and planted about 10ins apart - and got big monsters, which were very hard to dig up!

It's just a shame that they were mostly inedible, what with canker and hard cores there wasn't much worth eating  :nowink:
I didn't do any this year.................

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:29 »
I always grow Gladiators and don't have a problem. I think the answer lies in the soil!

(Pssssst - wanna see my parsnip? - Oh you already have.)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:43 »
Yes I have seen it - I was very impressed  ::) 

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05 »
which of course as it was from an original F1 would not come true

There's the answer there, you were likely never going to get anything worth the bother. I've never saved parsnip seed, but seed saving is worth the effort, if you do it properly.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:42 »
Thanks for the update. 

I must admit, I am hopeless at saving seed from anything other than herbs, spinach/chard, squashes and beans.  I get bored with stuff taking up space, so pull things out before they set seed :)
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
home grown parsnip seed

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 21:28
by sunshineband
xx
Saved chive seed.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 13:38
by DD.
xx
San Marzano (from saved seed.)

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2020, 18:47
by Growster...
xx
Soft Saved Seed

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 21:27
by Cazzy

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 38 queries.