Hedging for wildlife - advice please

• 11 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Hedging for wildlife - advice please
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:13 »
The south side of my plot had an approx 30ft high blackthorn hedge along it, which is about 12ft deep. It hadn't been trimmed in years. Given 75% of my plot is then in shade and this year there are no nests or sloes, I have been allowed to take it down to 6ft high. This showed that a lot of it was dead, there's a hell of a lot of ivy across the floor and that there is a corridor about 4-5ft wide that nothing is growing in.

I want to volunteer to look after this bit, so that the hedging is managed at the 6-8ft level and encouraged to be bushy, and perhaps so that I can put other varieties in other than blackthorn.

Other than thinking of hazel and perhaps a (dwarf) buddleia for our resident hives, what else could I be thinking of to encourage wildlife? The hedge area is about 30-35ft long, is a run for local cats and foxes currently and we're on damp clay.

Thanks for any pointers!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:15 by surbie100 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hedging for wildlife - advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:50 »
if you really want to care for it properly then may I suggest that you go on a hedge laying course, this will encourage the hedge to be bushy lower down and also plant native hedges  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

surbie100

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:05 »
I might, but I need to get permission from the Committee to look after it first, so I thought I'd ask for some ideas from you all, as you are bound to know more than me!

Costs plus complicated child access arrangements mean courses aren't often an option for me.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 13:53 »
Rosa canina. It fits perfectly in a hedge situation in our mixed native hedge, the bees and hoverflies love the flowers and the birds love the hips. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 19:05 »
Cherry plum makes a great hedge addition -- plenty of flowers for the bees, plenty of small fruits for you too

Spindle is beautiful with its multicoloured berries at this time in the year, although not edible.

Beech is a good windbreak and as the advantage of keeping it's lovely leaves through the winter too. Hazel (as you said) makes a decent hedge and something evergreen added in as well helps early nesting birds, and provides some winter shelter too. Privet does the job in our garden
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 19:08 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 19:18 »
hawthorn and  field maple

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 19:39 »
hazels etc as advised But You do not want to cut this hedge down to 4-5 ft best bet is either to lay it one side at a time or cut to within 6ins of the ground then once that has regrown to 5ft do the other side this will make a impenitrable barrier
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

surbie100

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 23:27 »
Thanks for the pointers. The Committee seems happy for me to look after it and are keen on diversifying the hedge. An impenetrable barrier is not really the aim though - the hedge runs along the dividing fence between 2 allotment fields.

There's a meeting next week to decide on plants. :D Happy days!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 23:52 »
Stick to native hedging as it will be right. Don't get sidetracked into fancy stuff that has no relevance  :)

I have an allotment hedge and it has a lot of privet, which I'm not keen on, but it does flower and attract insects and it provides good nesting for all manner of birds.  In my hedge there is also elder which is amazing, hawthorn, damson and bramble.  I use the prunings to help get the bonfire going (privet and the neighbours leylandii prunings make great fire starters) The elder makes good logs once it's dried. The hawthorn and damson provide good bean supports
As well as a privacy screen and noise baffle it's also pretty to look at. It's always, always got lots of wild life in it, usually greenfinch, pigeons, blackbirds, robins, wrens, a hunting sparrowhawk regularly dives into it hunting for blackbirds. Underneath the hedge provides cover for pheasants and partridges and rabbits.  I keep it quite high but every three years or so really give it a good going over but I don't like it too low as it allows the deer to get in  :nowink:

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 12:45 »
Thanks compostqueen.

It's on the south edge of my plot, so any higher than 7-8ft and I stop having sunlight on my veg. It's not been managed for 25 years, so you can imagine how high/spindly it's gotten!

Your space sounds much wilder than my suburbia - our largest wildlife are pigeons and the resident fox, but we do have lots of little birds, which I love and want to encourage.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 22:37 »
I built myself a little pond and the greenfinches love it  :)

savbo

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 17:16 »
blackthorn suckers a lot, so I'd get more hawthorn into it and maybe then try to thin out the blackthorn. I seem to recall that blackthorn doesn't lay well, certainly compared to hawthorn.

Mainly-hazel hedges can be lovely - Dentdale has them and they look great all year

sav

xx
Hedging advice

Started by Totty on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 20:59
by Totty
xx
hedging advice please

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2013, 18:59
by evie2
xx
Pruning advice for hazel hedging please

Started by poultrygeist on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 07:26
by poultrygeist
xx
Box Hedging

Started by Dotty on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 19:35
by black diamond

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.