Use of wood ash instead of lime?

• 5 Replies

Glaikit Lump

Use of wood ash instead of lime?
« on: November 09, 2012, 14:57 »
We are fairly new to gardening so hope this question is not too basic.

According to our book, it is suggested the part of the garden for legumes be limed in the autumn. While we can buy lime here (it is also used to paint trees white at the bottom) we are not sure if it suitable for horticultural use so last year used wood ash from our log burner instead, spreading it out at about a bucket per 10 sqm during the winter (3 buckets in all). The crop yield seemed ok. Our soil is heavy clay but not sure if it is acid or alkali or if the ammount used was appropriate.

My question is : is it suitable to use wood ash instead of lime or should I bin the ash and try to fins suitable lime?

solway cropper

Re: Use of wood ash instead of lime?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 16:59 »
You only need to add lime if your soil actually needs it. I garden on a clay soil and it is naturally alkaline so no need to add lime. I do add pelleted chicken manure to the brassicas for the nitrogen content and the fact that it also slightly alkaline is a bonus.

I've not heard of legumes needing lime as they usually grow best in a soil which is slightly acid.

Wood ash is a very useful addition to soil but I would add it shortly before planting as its nutrients are quickly leached out.

A soil testing kit should be on your Christmas present list then you can decide what you really need to add.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 17:15 »
Wood ash is more of a source of potash than lime, although it does contain both, and as SW says it's easily leached out by winter rain.

Better to store it somewhere dry and use it as a top dressing next year - if your soil does need lime (best to do a pH test first) then powdered limestone or slaked lime is the best stuff to use (you could use quicklime or burnt lime at a pinch but it needs caution as it reacts with water and gets a bit hot so not something to be chucking about on a wet and windy day!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:23 »
I save any precious woodash to top dress my soft fruit in the Spring, together with their breakfast of fish blood and bone.. the potash boosts flower bud formation and fruiting
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Glaikit Lump

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:45 »
Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

To address the points made : The book I followed was in fact the five year crop rotation plan from this web site "Lime Follows Potatoes, Then Legumes"  :D

I suspect our soil is ph neutral as cabbages grow just as well as tomatoes/potatoes, but agree I probably should undertake some tests to find out for sure.

We obtain wood ash in decent quantities as the woodburner is our only means of heating the house in winter, rather than throw the stuff out I thought it may be a possible substitute for lime due to its alkalinity...looks like I was wrong.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 14:50 »
We all try different things as we go along Glaikit, some just the once, while other stay with us more or less for life  :D

xx
Potatoes, Lime and Wood Ash

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 16:01
by Trillium
xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
To Lime or Not to Lime ??

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 11:53
by greetwellboy

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 37 queries.