Parsnip Seeds

• 16 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Seeds
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:55 »
I have a packet of unopened Autumn King seeds which I bought in May this year. Can I use them next year or is it safer to buy new seeds? I have read that seed over one year old cannot be used.

bigfatwallet

• My Blog
Re: Parsnip Seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:58 »
Most seed packets have a date on the back of them. I normally sow them until the date then bin em.

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20 »
Most seed packets have a date on the back of them. I normally sow them until the date then bin em.

The rule is not to use parsnip seed over one year old but what about if the packet hasn’t been opened?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:11 »
Are you sure they're parsnips?

Autumn King tend to be more orange coloured, slightly smaller and are called "carrots".  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:22 »

The rule is not to use parsnip seed over one year old but what about if the packet hasn’t been opened?

As a rule, parsnip seed is reknowned for poor viability after storage.  Some seed will still germinate so they are not all dead.  However, parsnip can take so long to germinate that by the time you acknowledge the non-show, the period to sow fresh is fast dwindling.  Hence the reason most will buy fresh every year.

The vacuum seal would certainly help to keep seed viable but again with the not too sure scenario.  I have sowed seed (not parsnip I should stress) 10 years after the best before date from an unopened packet I had forgot all about and found lurking in a desk drawer so not the ideal storage conditions.  Amazingly, all the seeds germinated ... it's a chance you have to take for yourself.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:29 »
You can check the viability by germinating a few on some moist kitchen towel in the warmth a bit before you wish to sow.

You can waste a lot of seed by binning them if you go purely on the sow by date. I've some brassica seed that is about 5 years past it, but still going strong. I lose nothing much should they not come up as they are quick germinators and there's plenty of time to re-sow.

However, I'm still not convinced these are parsnip seed with that name!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 13:27 by DD. »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 13:28 »
Totally agree with BabbyAnn - if you sow old parsnip seed early and nothing happens, you don't know whether it's because it's too cold or the seed is duff.

I sow towards the end of April and they still take at least 3 weeks, although this year I did sow some 1-year old Gladiator seed (nice and thickly) and seemed to get fair germination - I did sow fresh seed as insurance though as I wasn't that confident.

As DD says, if in doubt do a germination test first.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 13:48 »

Autumn King tend to be more orange coloured, slightly smaller and are called "carrots".  :lol:

That's very true  ::)  :lol:

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 14:47 »

Oops. These are cream coloured, slightly larger and are called "Gladiator"  :wacko:

sarajane

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 14:51 »

That's very true  ::)  :lol:

Is there an actual picture of a parsnip on the packet?  If not its carrots you have there and I've sown these a couple of years after buying and they have grown.  (carrots that is)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 14:58 »
Oops. These are cream coloured, slightly larger and are called "Gladiator"  :wacko:

Parsnips it is then!

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 15:03 »

Parsnips it is then!

I hope so :D

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 15:42 »
I've never had a problem getting two year old parsnip seed to germinate but I never sow into cold soil which I'm sure has a lot to do with its poor showing for others. You can sow right up to May and still get a good crop.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 12:13 »
I always germinate my 'snips on paper and only plant the viable (chitted) ones once the soil has warmed up.

I have germinated 8year old seed, from previously unopened packets with a fair degree of success, and even from packets opened the previous year or two. I accept I may not get many by doing this, but so far haven't been disappointed.

Always have a back up plan though so if the seeds doesn't germinate you won't be without
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Kiki

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 17:43 »
I agree
I think the weird spring conditions are to blame for many problems. Having had mixed success getting, in date, parsnip seed to germinate for the last 2 years I chitted the whole lot.
They all came up very promptly and the ones I've dug so far have been great. Nice straight roots and good size.  :)

xx
parsnip seeds

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 22:08
by DD.
xx
Parsnip seeds

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 05:50
by DD.
xx
Pelleted Parsnip seeds

Started by plum crumble on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 12:59
by plum crumble
xx
Bugs on my Parsnip seeds

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2014, 09:28
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.762 seconds with 38 queries.