Is there something wrong?

• 19 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Is there something wrong?
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:17 »
I've had my 3 chickens for 2 weeks now.  On of them seems quieter than the others and somewhat withdrawn.  In the mornings the other 2 dash for the food and she just stands there watching.  She is drinking water which is good.  While the others peck and scratch the ground she just stands and watches.  I give them corn in the evenings and she seemed to enjoy that last night.  I've felt her crop and that seemed soft.  I couldnt tell if there was anything in it though as it felt like the base of her feathers.  She did a poo this morning and it was tiny.  I feel as though there is something wrong but I cant quite put my finger on it.  Any ideas?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Is there something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53 »
She may just be the lowest in the pecking order.  Always best to have more than one feeder and drinker so she will get a chance to get some.

Try putting her on her own with some food to see if she will eat when she has no competition.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11 »
They have 2 food bowls.  There dosnt seem to be any bullying going on.  I have a vets appointment for 11am.  Just went out their and she was fluffed up with her eyes closed.  Need to get her checked out.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:19 »
Hope all goes well at the vets.  :)

Beano

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:14 »
I feel as though there is something wrong but I cant quite put my finger on it.  Any ideas?
Trust your instincts. If you feel there is something wrong, there usually is. A few times I have been persuaded (by my husband mostly) that I am being too sensitive when I should have trusted myself. 
Well done for acting promptly and I wish you success at the vets.
Good luck!
El.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:37 »
Well, the vet couldnt find anything obviously wrong other than that she seems really skinny (under her feathers) and her comb is pale.  He gave her ivermectin for worms and parasites and said to try and give her porridge to try and build her up.  Any other ideas to get her to eat?

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:47 »
I note you said you fed her corn. Corn should be treated as buns!  It's a treat and should not replace the layers pellets she should be fed

Hens like a dried mealworm but these are quite fattening so have to be given when you want to get close to the bird to handle her etc and for giving her a bit of a boost.  Porridge made with water, when you make your own, is a good idea and could be fed to them while it's still warm and they will appreciate it in this cold snap. Not too much though!

You can feed a hen a little bit of tinned tuna (springwater, drained) or even a bit of decent cat food but only a bit until she perks up

Hybrids, bred for egg laying, are skinny and never have any meat on their bones. They've not been bred to have meat on them.  Is she nice and warm in the morning when you get her out of the coop?  She should be!  Please check tomorrow morning  :)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:57 »
Hi.  They only have a handful of corn before they go to bed  not as their main diet.  I have made some porridge - but its got milk in it aswell as I had some.   :)  I've put some sultanas and seeds in it aswell.  Shes a buff sussex and is 26 weeks old so she is quite big but she is very light at the moment and her tail feathers are down rather than upright.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:20 »
Have just been out there with the porridge - liked the seeds but not impressed with the porridge so far.  Was sat there watching them and saw a pile of dead worms.  Presume they came from the chickens?  They seemed dead.  Confused now....

Beano

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:29 »
You said that she is drinking water so put some tonic in the water for her. There's all sorts of tonics out there that you can put in the water. Avipro was suggested to me when one of mine was off her food. It seemed to keep her going until she got over her illness. It probably helped the others with their moult as well.
Try making a "porridge" out of layers pellets, warm water and poultry spice. It might tempt her.

Beano

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 12:34 »
Sorry the posts got tangled, only just seen your worms post.
It does sound as though she needed worming then. Blimey the ivermectin worked fast.
Lets hope she's on the mend now. I would still put some tonic in the water just to give her/them a boost.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 13:07 »
Lots of advise seems to have been given, just want to say that I hope she percks up...

Hannah :)

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 13:09 »
Hens don't need milk!  They don't need seeds and dried fruit in the porridge either. You have to be careful that you don't overload the birds. As long as they have access to fresh, clean water and layers pellets, fresh leafy greens on a regular basis they will do well.  They will appreciate porridge when you're having some but it doesn't need bulking out as it's filling as it is

if they have access to your lawn they will have greens right there, and worms of course

It sounds like they needed worming so it's good that you have clear signs that may have been the problem.   :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 13:14 »
I puree apple, carrots and a clove of garlic, add water and give it to my broodies when they are thin after hatching eggs.  They like it and it seems to increase their appetite. 

helens-hens

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 13:25 »
Re the porridge all you need to do is add hot water to layers pellets to give it a sort pof porridge consistency. I wouldn't give them any milk as their digestive systems aren't designed to deal with it.

Beano mentioned Avipro Plus, this is always worth having in the cupboard as it contains a lot of useful nutrients and can be added to water or food. It ceratinly helped one of my hens early this year when she was ill.

Looks like it was worms though so hopefully she will start to make a full recovery. Assuming all your hens came from the same source it may be worth worming them as well. If you do then use a chemical wormer to ensure the worms are dealt with properly rather than using a herbal preventative (that is what I would suggest).
Helen

xx
Is there anything wrong?

Started by brownp on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 23:27
by hillfooter
xx
What do you think could be wrong with her?

Started by parsleypig on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 20:58
by Roughlee Handled
xx
I must be doing something wrong HELP!

Started by F1schuey on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 13:09
by Robster
xx
Am I doing something wrong?

Started by MarkBrad on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 11:13
by purplebat

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 36 queries.