Compost bin contents

• 18 Replies

allotmentann

Re: Compost bin contents
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 07:08 »
It doesn't seem to make any difference what I put into my compost bins, they always seem to take about 2 years to turn into nice compost.  And even though I make sure no stones or sticks are ever put in there, somehow they appear like magic in the nice crumbly compost when I go to use it.

Do you turn it regularly? I have found that the more often it is turned (and the smaller the pieces that go in of course), the faster it composts. My wooden bins at the lottie are slower than my daleks at home, but I think this is probably because they are rarely turned. I bought an aerator for home (take it to the lotty occasionally) and it is fabulous. Unbreakable and easy, and I get good crumbly compost in around six months. The aerator is so easy I often turn the mix every day! :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dolmen-Compost-Mixer-and-Aerator/dp/B0050I2FB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352185553&sr=8-1

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03 »
Thanks for the link Ann, I have never seen this tool before but I am going to invest in one!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 08:55 »
I turn them a couple of times a year, usually. I don't do them more often than that because it breaks my back.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:26 »
I find it all but impossible to create a hot heap in a dalek, partly because the volume is comparitively small, but mainly because I never have enough of the right stuff in the right proportions at the right time of year (i.e. not winter!)
Sweet corn cobs and bamboo thinnings I find almost rot-proof  >:(, and woody privet clippings stick around a long time too, which in theory keeps me on top of the hedge clipping so they don't get to that stage......  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
My Compost bin contents

Started by greenhut on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 19:42
by azubah
xx
Contents of Compost bin

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 13:37
by Goosegirl
xx
compost contents query

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 09:17
by mushroom
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.865 seconds with 38 queries.