Beetroot Flambe

  • 7 Replies
  • 3212 Views
*

fatgit

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Location: Burnley, Lancs
  • 59
Beetroot Flambe
« on: September 30, 2006, 13:39 »
Take 1 raw, freshly picked beetroot.
Place in a dish with a small amount of water, cover with clingfilm & place in the microwave.
Put on full power for 5mins.

After 4 mins, return to find the microwave making a very unusual noise, and see the bowl of beetroot is blazing away nicely.

I guess my microwave is a tad more powerful than the one used in the post I read about cooking beetroot in the micro :)
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

*

John

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Clogwyn Melyn, Gwynedd
  • 13895
    • Low Cost Living
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:38 »
The first Christmas we had a microwave, I put a Christmas pudding into micro. Since it says to steam for 2 hours, I figure 30 minutes.

Well, let's put it this way...  when you need a power tool to cut your Christmas pud, it's not really edible.

Was your micro ok?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books
 

*

Heather_S

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Location: North London
  • 582
    • http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:07 »
Check out the microwave carefully. You might have blown out the magnetron  as there was no more water for it to act upon.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

*

fatgit

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Location: Burnley, Lancs
  • 59
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 11:34 »
Luckily, the micro is working fine, so is the smoke detector :D

*

John

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Clogwyn Melyn, Gwynedd
  • 13895
    • Low Cost Living
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 12:00 »
Bits of foil can be fun - many sparks and arcs (will harm the machine)

I watched a demo once where they had little lightbulbs in the micro to show how the waves hit everywhere in the cavity - fascinating stuff.

Never managed to set a fire in the micro but I have had an attempt at flambe nearly take out the kitchen. Rather exciting at the time but best not repeated.

*

shaun

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: g.sutton/cheshire
  • 6933
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 20:51 »
is this it

E0uKyN5SZ5k
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

*

GrannieAnnie

  • Grandmother of the Forums
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Lincolnshire
  • 21087
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 22:28 »
when we lived in Kent, we went home one day and OH said what's that funny smell?  I don't know I said, but its not very nice.  Anyway I followed my nose into the dining room (the kitchen was too small to keep the microwave in then!) and the smell seemed to be coming from the microwave, but there was nothing in there.  We asked my Mum and both daughters, no they said, don't know why the micro smells funny.

I wasn't until several years afterwards that my eldest daughter who has learning difficulties confessed.  She heard me say that the jacket potatoes take 15 to 20 mins in the microwave, but didn't realise that was only because I put 4 or 5 in there at a time.  She put one in and cooked it for 20 mins.  I said What did the potato look like at the end?  Don't know she said, I couldn't find it!!!!   So either my Mum had thrown it away and they didn't tell me, or it had cooked completely away!!!! lol

*

James

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • 167
Beetroot Flambe
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 14:27 »
I recommend making an extra baked potato, just in case of hunger.  Done in the Aga, the extra one was left in to keep warm.  By the following evening (!) there was nothing left but a small pile of charcoal.



 

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 35 queries.

Powered by SMFPacks SEO Pro Mod |