How are your tomatoes doing so far?

• 31 Replies

Springlands

Re: How are your tomatoes doing so far?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 20:21 »
Indoors - Shirley and Sungold - plants look very healthy and have set fruit but it will be a long time before I will be eating any home grown toms.

Outdoors - also Shirley and Sungold - plants knee high to a grasshopper. Look healthy enough and even have some fruits setting.

My sweet millions (which did so well last year) did not even get off the starting block - a total wipeout.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 21:24 »
Well you've seen the pics of my greenhouse  ::)  Now semi-tamed  ;)  Lots of flowers and some good green fruits but nothing ripe yet.

Outside got Maskotka growing in hanging baskets and although the plants look a little battered, they have a lot of green fruit on them  :)

RsT

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 07:26 »
Outside got Alicante and Roma. First year of outside on new allotment, 12 plants of each.
Planted out at the beginning of June and finally have stopped looking yellow and pale and are showing some signs of growing!
Couple of trusses set.
Greenhouse, Sungold, Tigerella and a baby tomato of a variety I have forgotten (dog ate packet!) 3 of each
Going great guns in terms of growth and a few trusses set, but will be some time before we are eating homegrown :(
Luckily I have a love of green tomato chutney............................

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 07:44 »
At home in greenhouse all OK bar one (Amish Paste) which has only just decided to flower at 1.2m tall  :ohmy:

Mintunnel at the plot is fine. Have two sungold fruits that will be ready this weekend YAYYYY

Giant cloche-thingy is rampant, including Amish Paste

Most heavily fruiting so far are Black Sea Man, Black Krim and Gardener's Delight. Sungold as always chugging along  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 13:03 »
In the greenhouse... sweet pea tomatoes - out of three plants, one has been decimated bygreen/whitefly, spotted one tomato on one of the others. Sweet 100 - have a couple of baby tomatoes and not a lot of flowers. Tumbler toms - loads of flowers but no fruit as yet.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 22:49 »
The 100's & 1000's have ... Erm ... 3 tiny green tomatoes  :lol:  Outdoor toms (100's-1000's & garden pearl ) not happy at all and dodgy brown spots appearing on some leaves). 

Greenhouse toms (100's&1000's, GP, GD and Ailsa Craig) still only in flower and only a single truss on each cordon plant - quite a few unset failures on GP and 100's  :(. Not looking too hopeful at the minute  :nowink:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 22:51 by shoozie »

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 22:53 »
Smashing. Grown from seed in a cold greenhouse, took ages to get going. Now they are really tonking away. Each truss has loads of flowers/fruit. So many, I shall have to nip some off because of the sheer weight, even if tied up.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 23:01 »
Fair to middling, hold lots of promise - plenty of green tomatoes, but have only had one ripe one so far.  I am growing Beefsteak, Costaluto plum, black cherry, red berry, gardeners delight, sungold and sunburst.  Majority in a GH, with only a handful planted out on new plot because I had room - the outside ones have small fruits but the plants are half the height of the GH ones.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 23:03 »
flowers everywhere but only 2 coming Black Russian loads of flowers garden perle
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:10 »
Starting to look good picked a few plum toms from the greenhouse The sole survivor of a feb sowing , rest are a bit behind but have set fruits or flowers , even have some marble sized fruits on the moneymakers outside . so once the sun comes looking good if the blight keeps away
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02 »
mine not looking good either. had them indoors but decided to plant outside and looking on the weaker side. one plant has a tomato growing but its very small. i'm not sure which variety they are  :wub: as i ripped the top of the packet and that may have had the name  :nowink:. they are the free T&M pack when you buy 2.....if that helps  ::)

Next year i'm hoping to grow franchi tomato seeds called Pomodoro Pantano....in other words they look like big ones on the packets   :tongue2: going to grow quite a few of these and plant outside

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 10:21 »
Beware Pantano tom plants grow ginormous  :blink:  (assuming there will be a summer ::) )

jhub

• jane
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 10:27 »
Lots of flowers on my greenhouse toms (Sungold and Sweet Milions) but no fruits yet. So frustrating!

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 10:47 »
My 4 moneymaker tomato plants are huge and have plenty flowers but no fruit as yet.  Is there still plenty summer left for them to fruit and ripen or will I be cooking up a lot of chutney?  :happy:
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 12:29 »
Beware Pantano tom plants grow ginormous  :blink:  (assuming there will be a summer ::) )

this will be interesting  :happy: me and dad been on the look out for big meaty tomato's. fingers crossed  :)

xx
Tomatoes - help

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 09:28
by Sadgit
xx
Please look at my tomatoes!

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 23:39
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Where did my tomatoes go?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 08:50
by mumofstig
smiley
Tomatoes

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 22:13
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 34 queries.