what to plant?

• 9 Replies

RigsVilleBird

what to plant?
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:35 »
Hi i am looking to able to eat something off my allotment all year round. After a productive few months i am looking to plant to help me survive the winter.  What's the best stuff to plant to help me through the winter? :unsure:

Will eat anything so all ideas gratefully received. :lol:

Also how do i get my young son of 12 (who has autism and adhd) interested in my plot?  Am finding it difficult getting to the plot to work as it is the school hols. :( :(  I want him to love it as much as i do, not frighten him off for life! :lol:  He loves the out doors and am wondering if i can dedicate a bit of the plot for him to do stuff on, but what stuff??? Something to do with growing, nature and fun???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: what to plant?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57 »
You had to think about winter crops like cabbage, brussels, parsnips and swede much earlier in the year. I think you'll still find plants of winter cabbage in the garden centres

there is time to sow carrots,beetroot, khol rabi, winter radish, turnips, pak choi and other salad leaves.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 14:49 »
As mumofstig said for plant.
As for an area for your son, just set aside an area for him to have fun in and the planting and nature can come later.
Sun flowers, sweetcorn, radish, anything that grows quickly and some sort of water feature, that both your son and the local wild life will enjoy.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 14:57 »
MOS is there a particular seed type I need to be getting for Beetroot and Carrots. the seed packs I have say July for the last sow dates and was wanting to get some in. Thanks!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 15:14 »
Hiya, thinking about developing your son's interests in the outdoors and nature, the plot is a great place for rustic woodworking just using pallet wood, a saw and nails, he can build (with your help) - flower planters bat boxes, insect hibernation boxes hedgehog homes, bird boxes, bird feeding tables. He can then use books on identifying birds, binoculars for watching them etc. Also insect hunts using nets and traps,  there are loads of activities on the web around this - nature detectives is a good one -

Lots of digging to help you and to burn off some of his energy, create a calendar of things that need to be done (or use the one on this site) to help with his routine and planning etc.

The allotment can be a great place for the two of you to work and play in  :)

edit to add more rustic woodwork :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 15:26 by aelf »
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 15:23 »
Autumn King carrots can be sown in August, according to my pkt.

Beetroots say July, but if the weather is kind you should get some small roots, I think it's worth trying a few......... I only sowed mine about a week ago ;)

Ricey

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 19:59 »
If you like Colly's, you could try these ,,,,,, http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/2020?actionName=view_other_vegetables&itemname=ALL+YEAR+ROUND&page=2

Ive had some in the ground for a few weeks and they are doing OK.
I'm new to lotty's so I'm not sure how they will turn out but it's fun trying.

ermck1

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 20:04 »
Good luck and give what you can a go!

I have just planted some peas (eat the shoots if they don't grow as they should), some charlotte potatoes (baby potatoes are lovely) and some more carrots.

My general advice would be slap it in and eat them young if you dont think they'll get through winter.
Just go for it and if it doesnt work then don't do it again :).

M

Chrysalis

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 22:04 »
Spring greens? Herbs such as rosemary, sage and other hardy-ish ones.

Just at the same stage myself, so thanks for posting about this  :)

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 19:25 »
 :) :) :) :) :)

thank you all so much for your help and suggestions.  I managed to get down the plot today and do some much needed weeding.  I gave my son access to my scrap wood and pallet pile and he built himself a bird hide/army base depends on the time of day you ask him depends on what he uses it for! 

feeling much more positive about getting him on the plot and being able to get on with things myself. 
Am going to think about adding a small water feature i think that will benefit all of us.

My plot is my little oasis that i use for some much needed stress relief.  I have only had my plot one season and it was derelict.   Trying to balance family life with two special needs children and my lottie is interesting  but very rewarding.  I just need to get organised!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
new, what can i plant

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 06:00
by DD.
question
When should i plant out PSB?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 23:34
by Gandan57

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 32 queries.