Manure requirement exasperated by non-delivery...

• 34 Replies

Growster...

Manure requirement exasperated by non-delivery...
« on: January 08, 2013, 20:22 »
We were promised a big load of well-rotted farm-yard manure in November, and for several reasons, (tractor bust, too wet etc, etc), the good stuff hasn't arrived.

Mrs G and I were willing to pay the £50.00 the chap wanted, and we were assured that it was really old and ready to spread. Being a genial bloke, and ready to cut some slack where the weather, tractor parts deficiency is concerned, I waited...and waited...

So now, in early January, we're without the sort of filler we wanted to plonk on the beds, so we're looking at alternatives, and the original supplier will have to go and whistle!

My reckoning is some more bags of 6X, which we normally swear by - especially as a liquid feed - and perhaps five bags over the 50 odd beds will do the trick (except for root veg of course, they can go hungry, and enjoy it...

We have some compost, but not nearly enough, and a little of the bought stuff will make up the difference - we hope!

But fifty notes for five bags of 6X...paaaah, quite a lot of dosh, but perhaps we'll learn them...;0)

Can't be bad really, I love the smell, and it does work well too!

Such is life!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure requirement exasperated by non-delivery...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 20:32 »
I love the smell

Really  :blink:

I used a split bag of it to feed display veg and flower raised beds at work and nearly cleared the place  :lol:

'Tis good stuff though.  Everything grew like triffids  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 21:10 »

I hope so I've bought 2 bags of it this year - will I need a peg on my nose  :unsure:  :D

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 22:21 »
I seem to be in the same position as no one seems to be able to deliver manure and apparently collecting in ur car is not a very good idea....

Is 6x the full name of this stuff? I'm getting desperate so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy some from a garden centre  :mellow:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 22:50 »

But fifty notes for five bags of 6X...paaaah, quite a lot of dosh, but perhaps we'll learn them...;0)

OUCH!!  Hope those veg enjoy their life of luxury  :D

I'm so blessed that my next door neighbour works at the local chicken farm and kindly delivers a full spread load every fall for me. He gets organic cukes and tomatoes in return every summer.

allot2learn

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 23:06 »
May I suggest yellow pages/riding schools/stables?
I rang one about two miles from our allotments and now we get an eight ton load of six month old stuff for £30, delivered on site. We split each load between four plots. It works out at around 50 barrow loads each.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:49 »
I love the smell

Really  :blink:

I used a split bag of it to feed display veg and flower raised beds at work and nearly cleared the place  :lol:

How old was it then, News, as if it was a split bag, then the ammonia would indeed make the eyes water more than somewhat...;0)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50 »

I hope so I've bought 2 bags of it this year - will I need a peg on my nose  :unsure:  :D

Not if it's new unopened stuff, Mum, but see post above...:0)

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:52 »
I seem to be in the same position as no one seems to be able to deliver manure and apparently collecting in ur car is not a very good idea....

Is 6x the full name of this stuff? I'm getting desperate so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy some from a garden centre  :mellow:

Yup, 'tis 6X, and in a bright orange bag, usually where the expensive 'Arthur Levington' mixtures are...

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:55 »
May I suggest yellow pages/riding schools/stables?
I rang one about two miles from our allotments and now we get an eight ton load of six month old stuff for £30, delivered on site. We split each load between four plots. It works out at around 50 barrow loads each.

It's a delivery problem from these guys, Allots, and we used to collect it, but we only got a new car just before Christmas - whenever that was...:0)

I will check though, as Yellow Pages seems to arrive and get chucked out exactly 12 months later, wearing the same wrapper it arrived in...:0)

hamstergbert

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:31 »
....and apparently collecting in ur car is not a very good idea....

A couple of years ago a kind equestian lady a few miles away offered organic well rotted 'stuff' free for collection.  Went round and filled a selection of tubs, cut down 5 and 10 gallon plastic drums etc and carefully loaded them into (back seat down) extensive load area of our then car a picasso.  Everything went swimmingly heading home until blondie in her old battered red VW Golf was too engrossed in the conversation via the phone clamped against her ear to look or pause before pulling straight out from a side road.  Poor feller ahead of me went into the side of her.  I managed to emergency stop the picasso before reaching him.  Unfortunately the tubs of 'stuff' were not as well wedged as I had thought.  

Took months to freshen the car, and even then on a particularly warm day the ghost of sudden brakings past would gently nudge the olefactory senses.....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:38 »
Hamsters, that is indeed a marvellous yarn, and one which triggers all sorts of visions, and as you say - smells...;0)

Wehave a great supply available about three miles away, but it is all just new stuff, and we can't use it for a year...

stompy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:49 »
A friend of mine has a small holding with several horses and offered me as much as i could collect.
I collected several car loads and took them to the plot but as it was around 12 miles away so a 24 mile round trip it worked out rather expensive in fuel to the point that it was cheaper to buy 3 bags of compost for £10 from the local super DIY store.
And the car wasn't full of flies for weeks afterwards  :nowink:

noshed

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 10:24 »
Give the council a ring - they might supply compost from their brown/green bins composting. We get huge loads of it free.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 12:00 »
Our council sell their compost for £3.50 a bag, so doubt we'd get any free :(
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

xx
manure delivery

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 11:20
by Plottered
xx
manure delivery

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2006, 10:14
by John
xx
Manure delivery

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2011, 19:46
by Goldfinger
xx
Manure delivery Glasgow?

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 19:26
by Weens12

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.