plants that devalue your house

• 29 Replies

WG.

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 21:18 »
Nice one jennyb - I'd certainly be happy to devote space and energy to grow that.

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 22:53 »
Cedar trees put me off - always an indication of poor soil and lots of mosquitoes. Weeping willows create their own monstrous problems too.

milkman

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 09:27 »
I'm surprised the increasingly ubiquitous laurel doesn't appear on the list - it appears to be the new plant of choice (now that leylandii is a no-no) for non-gardeners lacking imagination wanting a fast growing hedge, who have no idea what an overbearing monster it can become if not kept in proper check...
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 10:42 »
thank you david.  it's my mum's pride and joy.  i took the photos for her as we were forecast rain as she was concerned all the flowers would be wadhed off.

however i do agree with conifers being a pain.  before we moved in a row of conifers surrounded the front of our house blocking out light to the front of the house - they must have stood nearly as tall as the house,  and no-one else could see the lovely wisteria then either.

i don't know if my mum and step dad had planned to get rid of them before they bought the house,  you don't get told those things aged 10...

but they didn't stay up for long after we moved in.

i guess if the house suits your needs in every other way then things like trees can be taken down etc,  and if its simply a case of diggin up a few plants then i don't think that should put you off a house!

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 11:01 »
Eucalyptus trees are a pain, a very tall pain that are constantly dropping leaves, seed heads, bark and grow daily, leaning evermore threateninlgy over your neighbours fence into your garden, so i get all the debris and shade and dry ground  and she gets to say what  " a beautiful tree" if i could get to it i would hit copper nails in it feed it sump oil and sever its roots with a chain saw.

That feels better, rant over.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 11:27 »
Why did I choose my house - lord knows. It had 7 leylandi -3 really big ones out the back and 4 in the front. Add that to a garden that had not been touched for 8 years, including the privet that runs down the garden (120 ft) - it has turned into a lovely garden oasis (though I say so myself). Sometimes its not what you can see that makes you do something but what your vison is. Took 10 years and its done!! Now I've got a neglected allotment to tackle. Mad about gardening or what!
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

David.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 15:58 »
I worked for many years on housing construction projects, where the site layout would be adujusted to ensure the best trees were retained. The construction methods used avoided damage to the roots. The trees were carefully protected during construction.

But shortly after completion, the tenants would chop them down because the birds in them shat on their washing.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 17:19 »
:roll:

Annie

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 18:52 »
My favotite trees in our garden are actually box that many moons ago were a hedge but due to neglect have grown into spectacular ttrees with twisty trunks and the canopy about 8 feet up,for those who know Dr Seuss thats what they look like.Why bamboo is in there or geraniums(which sort?)is a mystery to me and we have ivy growing up trees that are full of birds nests at the moment.

Puff

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 10:42 »
Eucalyptus trees are a pain

Aren't they just!    :evil:

Our neighbours have a massive one that grows right in the path of the afternoon sun and blocks out virtually all afternoon light from our tiny garden. The tree is abuot 5 yards from our house.  This has made growing seeds and seedlings for our allotment very difficult.  I've had to change the planting yearly as more and more light disappears.  Even hellebores have trouble growing here now.  Despite ten years of polite, friendly requests to the neighbours to keep the tree under control, they do nothing about it.  Occasionally they'll have some tree monkey in to hack a couple of branches off which just results in ever thicker growth.  They also have a hedge of unkempt leylandii about 4 yards away from our home that keep one side of the house permanently cold and dark.  Our local council charges £500 + for it's Hedge Issue mediation service, not something we can afford. The leylandii block the tiny pavement and hapless pedestrians frequently bang on our door complaining about the trees pushing them into the road.  We send them next door, but since our neighbours are rarely there, nothing gets done.  Neither of them are interested in gardening and I've never seen them use their garden for anything other than parking their car.

:cry:  /Rant MODE OFF

Bluebell

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2007, 13:04 »
Definitely agree with the pampas grass  :evil:
My neighbours have one and all the dead bits get blown into everyone elses gardens. And it's ugly.

I do like wisteria though  :D
and an orchard would be a great selling point for me!

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24 »
Quote from: "Puff"
Eucalyptus trees are a pain

Aren't they just!    :evil:

Our neighbours have a massive one that grows right in the path of the afternoon sun and blocks out virtually all afternoon light from our tiny garden. The tree is abuot 5 yards from our house.  This has made growing seeds and seedlings for our allotment very difficult.  I've had to change the planting yearly as more and more light disappears.  Even hellebores have trouble growing here now.  Despite ten years of polite, friendly requests to the neighbours to keep the tree under control, they do nothing about it.  Occasionally they'll have some tree monkey in to hack a couple of branches off which just results in ever thicker growth.  They also have a hedge of unkempt leylandii about 4 yards away from our home that keep one side of the house permanently cold and dark.  Our local council charges £500 + for it's Hedge Issue mediation service, not something we can afford. The leylandii block the tiny pavement and hapless pedestrians frequently bang on our door complaining about the trees pushing them into the road.  We send them next door, but since our neighbours are rarely there, nothing gets done.  Neither of them are interested in gardening and I've never seen them use their garden for anything other than parking their car.

:cry:  /Rant MODE OFF

I had a friend with a similar problem and on a very, stormy night went out and chopped the top of the tree down roughly so it looked like storm damage.  He got away with it as well.  Perhaps you could try that.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

hermon

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 11:18 »
how can anyone hate wisteria :shock:  it would be a plus point to a house with one for me!

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 11:36 »
we did have a white one as well,  but it was on the neighbours garage wall and it kept growing up into their garage,  so mum decided that one would come down - although it was so big already we culdn't get the root out so mum and david just hacked it off.....

we found it had sprouted the other day - oopps!

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 13:11 »
japanese knotweed!! for sure.

xx
House Plants

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2006, 16:43
by Oliveview
xx
Moving house & plants....perhaps?

Started by breton on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 14:56
by sunshineband
xx
House / Office Plants

Started by TTG on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 22:43
by cissie
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 30 queries.