Skimmia

• 2 Replies

mrs bouquet

Skimmia
« on: May 18, 2020, 17:09 »
I have just had remove one which was about 40 years old.   They are a struggle up here on the chalk, nevertheless, it always had lovely berries and scented flowers.     My idea is to replace with a new one and plant in a large containers.    By doing that I can ensure that it always has a topping of the correct soil and feed.
But, as I am looking where to buy, It speaks of having a male and female nearby.     Why does it say this ?
My old one has had no other nearby, and in its hayday was glorious.     I only have room for one.   What will I miss and should I get a male or female.     Advice Please.      Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Skimmia
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 15:44 »
Male skimmias do not produce berries, but by far the most popular one in the garden centre is Skimmia japonica Rubella and that is male.  It is compact, evergreen, has attractive pink buds all winter and these open into scented little white flowers. 

If you want a good container plant that is one to consider  :)

mrs bouquet

Re: Skimmia
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 16:35 »
Thanks for your answer.  After a few hours and 'phone calls and emails yesterday, I found out that the one that cross pollinates is called Skimmia Reeveseana.    That must be the one I had before, it had all the lovely things on it.     From that point on my hours were wasted.  Nobody has got one   :mad:    Except one place were they had a 6 inches one for £25    :ohmy:  I took two little cutting off the old one (thats all there was) to see what happens.     Somewhere else, the lady said she knew exactly what I wanted and why, and they will be have a few in November between 12 and 18".    I am now trying to re-think what to put in this blinking container, which I haven't even bought anyway   :lol:   Thanks again, stay safe,  Mrs Bouquet

xx
Poorly Skimmia

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2017, 10:43
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 29 queries.