seed potatoes

• 12 Replies

rowlandwells

seed potatoes
« on: January 24, 2019, 17:06 »
how have you found buying your seed potatoes this year I was told seed potatoes would be in short supply this year but was this speculation or scare mongering because seed potatoes seem in good supply at present maybe not everyone has bought yet

the only seed that was sold out where i buy from was Winston and Cara but  desiree and charlot where going down although there was othere varieties plentyfull so some gardeners may have to buy alternatives

AlaninCarlisle

Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 17:16 »
No shortages at the nursery where I buy my seed spuds. They have about 20 large wickerwork baskets each with a different variety. You just take a plastic bag or two and get what you want and then get them weighed at the cash-point. Same with different varieties of beans and onion sets

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 17:18 »
I got my seed potatoes last week, plenty of stock, and  over 30 varieties of loose seed potatoes, over 6 varieties of pre-packed seed potatoes at the same price as last year.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 17:44 »
I’ve just been today to buy mine, certainly not the huge variety of the last few years, when asked they told me they’d had difficulty with them because of last years season. They’d still got easily 30 varieties, just not all the ones I wanted. Winston,pink fir apple & Lady Balfour. Never mind I might find some elsewhere but it did get me to try 1 I’d not heard of before. Could be a decent exchange.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 19:16 »
Yes the supply and variety locally were a little less than usual. But being into shopping early we bought enough to be able to manage.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 21:18 »
They've got loads in wilkos.
And plenty of Cara.

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 22:50 »
I have noticed that Wilko do not store their seed potatoes and onion set very well, the Sittingbourne branch had Potatoes that had 6" sprouts on them. 

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 16:00 »
Agreed wilko don't store them very well but if you catch them just after delivery they represent good value for money imo. Very pleased to see that they had nets of Charlotte this year which are now chitting nicely. The best all-round potato I have found on my plot.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 20:17 »
I have noticed that Wilko do not store their seed potatoes and onion set very well, the Sittingbourne branch had Potatoes that had 6" sprouts on them. 

Some of them did.
(Small world!) I got a bag that didn't have sprouts.
but yeah, they just store them in the open.

al78

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 14:31 »
I ordered mine just over two weeks ago. They said to expect them the week beginning the 23rd, but have just now received an e-mail that they have been dispatched, so should have them home and chitting within a week or so.

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 15:25 »
There are 38 varieties at our local potato day a week tomorrow.  I hope there are enough, it is always a massive bunfight with big queues.  Only 15p  a tuber though.

Mr Dog

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 16:11 »
There are 38 varieties at our local potato day a week tomorrow.  I hope there are enough, it is always a massive bunfight with big queues.  Only 15p  a tuber though.

I'm planning to come along to that so I'd better get my tin helmet and protective clothing ready then! Hopefully I can get there early enough to pick up those on my list - I'm planning a different approach this year and try several varieties, so I only want a couple of each.

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 16:37 »

I'm planning to come along to that so I'd better get my tin helmet and protective clothing ready then! Hopefully I can get there early enough to pick up those on my list - I'm planning a different approach this year and try several varieties, so I only want a couple of each.
There is a big queue before it opens.  I suggest you have a bag ready for each variety you want to buy.  Either bring lots of change or tot it up and pay at the end.  Jazzy, Sarpo Mira and Pink Fir Apple all popular last year.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes again!! sorry

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 16:21
by Iain@JBA
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2018, 15:27
by JayG
xx
seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 30, 2021, 10:25
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.